Funded vs. Unfunded MA

jeanie

Just curious, does anyone ever accept an offer for an unfunded MA program?  I hear Columbia offers an unfunded MA program, is it worthwhile to go there and pay?  

I would never do an unfunded (full-time) MA in classics, even from Columbia.  (There was a recent discussion about taking an unfunded Columbia MA offer in the literature forum, I believe; many of the points made there apply to classics as well.)  A postbac is a little different.  And it may also be different if you're an in-service teacher doing a part-time MA or MEd in Latin.  But when I applied for standard classics MAs last season, I decided ahead of time I wouldn't go without funding.

Thanks.  And I'm going to have to find that discussion in the lit forum.  If you know where it is, can you copy it and put it in here?

Even though I haven't studied Latin (formally) since my high school, Vergil/Catullus days, here are my two cents:

Go for the funded MA.  You don't want to be saddled with an insane amount of debt (especially in a humanities field).  Columbia, in particular, costs a king's ransom.

I imagine funded MA programs are more difficult to get into in that more people probably apply for admission, but I would say that an unfunded MA is not worth it. There are a handful of strong Classics MA programs which offer funding--there's the University of Arizona, University of Kansas, Florida State, and a few more that I've forgotten.