Applying to Crim PhD program straight from undergrad w/ "wrong" major?

Hello all. Does anyone know if a Forensic Science major is acceptable for some of the Criminology PhD programs? Also, if on top of that, you happened to be lacking in extensive research experience, would you be an instant rejection?

Here is my story:

B.S. in Forensic Science. Minor in Chemistry.

GPA=3.59

GRE=332

Research experience= 1 summer in a bio research lab.

I want to apply to a Criminology PhD program, but am I qualified without a real background in criminology (minus the odd sociology class here and there)? Would I be better off applying to masters programs first?

Someone please offer me some insight! 

Thanks! 

Guest criminologist

Yes I think you would be rejected from all PhD programs, you need to get a master's in criminology first. Forensic science is a natural science while criminology is a social science, so likely nothing you learned in your degree will prepare you for a PhD program. What is your motivation for applying to a Criminology PhD if you do not even have the applicable background?

My motivation is simple: I happen to like criminology and want to pursue a career in that field of research.  But I wouldn’t say that I “don’t even have an applicable background”. Half of my “forensic science” courses were actually supplanted with justice studies or criminology courses because my university was so impacted. Even my senior seminar class was for the criminology track.

Anyways, why would a masters program work while a PhD wouldn’t? Don’t the PhD programs simply put you through the masters courses first? I want to make that commitment to a PhD right away without having to do masters first then reapply, which seems impractical. And there is no guarantee that all of those masters credits would transfer to the eventual PhD program, so it would end up taking me a year of extra coursework.

Am I still delusional?

Thanks for responding, by the way. I do appreciate the help.

P.S. What a unique username. 

Guest criminologist

You've taken some criminology courses which will help, they are still completely different disciplines though. Your GRE is great but won't be the deciding factor. Problem isn't just your major but your GPA isn't that great and your lab experience isn't relevant so that will already put you at a big disadvantage, Maybe it would be different if your research experience was in criminology or you had a 4.0 or even had a minor in criminology. I mean psychology and sociology majors would still be more prepared than you because they will have taken social science research methods courses. A master's will definitely be more helpful to you than someone who had a BA in a social science. There's no problem with doing a criminology master's before a PhD it just shows you are more prepared and serious about the field. How do you even know what you want to research at this point? Getting a master's would help with that as well. Yes it's impractical to get a master's if you already know you want a PhD, but that's only for people who already have very high GPA's, relevant major and research experience, taken all appropriate courses, etc. which you lack. I'm not saying it's impossible for you, I don't know the exact courses you've taken, but the faculty of any criminology department would be taking a huge risk if they accepted you into their PhD program.

Thanks again. What you say makes sense. It would definitely be smart to insulate myself with some masters program applications. But, do you know if some PhD programs will recommend an applicant to the masters program rather than reject them outright? Also, do the graduate programs give much significance to cumulative GPA? I read somewhere that programs look more at the “upper division” GPA (once you reach 60 semester hours).   

Guest criminologist

Thanks again. What you say makes sense. It would definitely be smart to insulate myself with some masters program applications. But, do you know if some PhD programs will recommend an applicant to the masters program rather than reject them outright? Also, do the graduate programs give much significance to cumulative GPA? I read somewhere that programs look more at the “upper division” GPA (once you reach 60 semester hours).   

Some PhD programs don't have terminal master's programs, so they can accept people without a master's into their Master's program maybe if they don't get a direct admission to PhD. If you don't care about funding you could apply to Florida State, I know they accept a lot of people but fund only a few, they accepted over 40 PhD applicants this last season so you might have a chance. Yeah more significance to cumulative GPA but in some application forms they also ask for your last 2 years GPA.

• 7 months later...

Hi, I just wanted to add my two cents/personal experience. I know this is an old thread.

I'm applying for the Fall 2015 cycle, and I've already gotten into a good Criminology Ph.D. program, and I expect to get into even more. I'm coming straight from undergrad with a B.S. in Computer Science, a couple psychology courses, a couple political science courses, a lot of chemistry and chemical engineering courses (I changed majors halfway through college, and I'm graduating on time) and an Applied Math minor. I have significant research experience in Materials Science/Chemical Engineering (and some Computer Science), some professional programming experience, and a government consulting internship. I'm hoping to do a policy internship this summer. I also applied with a 3.45 GPA...disclaimer, I'm from an Ivy League and have great GRE scores, but I think that just speaks to my credibility, and not my "qualifications" for a Ph.D. program. I have absolutely no criminology or sociology background whatsoever, just an interest and a lot of ideas in myriad areas across the field (not just in computer stuff - in fact, I de-emphasized that significantly in my applications).

What does all this mean to me? It means that you don't need to come from the "right" background, and it means that like many fields, criminology is an evolving and interdisciplinary one, especially in the 21st century. Your background seems more relevant than mine, and although everyone is different, I don't think you need a Master's to go for a good, funded Ph.D. program. Perhaps I come from such a non-traditional, though arguably useful, background, that people saw value in me. I chose this path with graduate school in mind, so my recommendation would be to figure out your education and career path in undergrad and make sure what you're studying will lead you down that path. Then, if you want to go into criminology, you'll already be sure that you're pursuing your goals your way. I'll report back to this thread later in the semester about my final prospects. But I think if you pursue your interests in undergrad and know what you want (I've known for a couple years that I wanted to go this route, but I didn't really do much about it except go to a couple seminars in a couple of my areas of interest), then you can do whatever you want. I suppose it is a gamble for a Ph.D. program to pick me, but I honestly never expected to get rejected, because in my mind, what I'm doing in undergrad all fits together, even if it doesn't fit into some curriculum dictating how the study of crime should be approached. That's all.

What does all this mean to me? It means that you don't need to come from the "right" background, and it means that like many fields, criminology is an evolving and interdisciplinary one, especially in the 21st century.

Guest criminologist

Hi, I just wanted to add my two cents/personal experience. I know this is an old thread.

I'm applying for the Fall 2015 cycle, and I've already gotten into a good Criminology Ph.D. program, and I expect to get into even more. I'm coming straight from undergrad with a B.S. in Computer Science, a couple psychology courses, a couple political science courses, a lot of chemistry and chemical engineering courses (I changed majors halfway through college, and I'm graduating on time) and an Applied Math minor. I have significant research experience in Materials Science/Chemical Engineering (and some Computer Science), some professional programming experience, and a government consulting internship. I'm hoping to do a policy internship this summer. I also applied with a 3.45 GPA...disclaimer, I'm from an Ivy League and have great GRE scores, but I think that just speaks to my credibility, and not my "qualifications" for a Ph.D. program. I have absolutely no criminology or sociology background whatsoever, just an interest and a lot of ideas in myriad areas across the field (not just in computer stuff - in fact, I de-emphasized that significantly in my applications).

What does all this mean to me? It means that you don't need to come from the "right" background, and it means that like many fields, criminology is an evolving and interdisciplinary one, especially in the 21st century. Your background seems more relevant than mine, and although everyone is different, I don't think you need a Master's to go for a good, funded Ph.D. program. Perhaps I come from such a non-traditional, though arguably useful, background, that people saw value in me. I chose this path with graduate school in mind, so my recommendation would be to figure out your education and career path in undergrad and make sure what you're studying will lead you down that path. Then, if you want to go into criminology, you'll already be sure that you're pursuing your goals your way. I'll report back to this thread later in the semester about my final prospects. But I think if you pursue your interests in undergrad and know what you want (I've known for a couple years that I wanted to go this route, but I didn't really do much about it except go to a couple seminars in a couple of my areas of interest), then you can do whatever you want. I suppose it is a gamble for a Ph.D. program to pick me, but I honestly never expected to get rejected, because in my mind, what I'm doing in undergrad all fits together, even if it doesn't fit into some curriculum dictating how the study of crime should be approached. That's all.

Edited by criminologist