Suggestions for studying Cultural Studies PhD in Europe, needing advice!

Diba

Hello Grad Community!

I'm at this point to make crucial decisions and I needed advice!

I have finished my BA in English Literature in Iran and I will start my MA in the same field again this Fall. But I'm planning to study my PhD in Cultural Studies in a foreign country and I have little time to choose a place and start my communication with teachers and departments! I'm eager to study in Europe, in free universities with the chance of having a job and stable situation. I would be happy to receive any suggestion around this subject, whatever it is; for I'm a beginner in this way of applying and finding places and I need your knowledge and suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Best of luck in your search! I fear that you may encounter a few obstacles, however. Most countries are not as generous in provisions for free education as Iran; the MA in particular is a difficult degree to fund. Cynically put, the program is often a means of generating revenue for a department's PhD program. I wonder if you would have an easier time securing funding if you were to enter a direct PhD program in the states? 

• 2 weeks later...

Best of luck in your search! I fear that you may encounter a few obstacles, however. Most countries are not as generous in provisions for free education as Iran; the MA in particular is a difficult degree to fund. Cynically put, the program is often a means of generating revenue for a department's PhD program. I wonder if you would have an easier time securing funding if you were to enter a direct PhD program in the states? 

I was going to suggest this as well. And wouldn't it make more sense to study at an English program in an English-speaking country? I don't know what kind of researching opportunities for English PhDs are in Europe, but I know the resources in the US are focused on cultivating new scholarship. Sometimes this means revisiting old texts or manuscripts and finding new information. As someone in the same direction as you, looking through old books that can only be found in libraries of the US and England is exciting! And most English PhD programs in the US are funded, granted you apply to the right schools.

I know nothing about your area of study, but I have heard that university studies are free for nationals and foreigners alike in countries such as Sweden, Finland and Austria. Germany at one time also offered free education to foreigners, but I'm not sure they still do. All of these countries also offer a limited number of programs taught in English. I am not sure about scholarship opportunities to cover your living expenses, however. It may be easier to acquire funding from your own country that is transferable abroad. Good luck.

Edited by jenste