practice gre and real gre difference

rileypep

how many points did you increase or decrease on the real GRE from your practice/diagnostic tests?

im been making 620~ on the math section and trying to see how much i can realisticly improve in a month and half.

My verbal is really bad at the moment too (4xx) ;-(. ill be taking a class in june so hopefully that will greatly increase my scores

It depends on which test prep software you are using. PowerPrep was basically bang on for me. However, it seemed like the commercially available prep tests are harder on the Q (I scored 100 points lower on these than I did on the actual thing).

I used the Princeton Review 400ish high frequency, high difficulty word list. Studied the vocab for an hour or two each day and did practice test/question sets each day for 2 months and brought up the V score by 200 points. I highly recommend that book (Word Power, I think it was called) if you are short on studying time. Otherwise, use the Barron 4000+ word list.

I used PowerPrep also and the GRE sample test booklets that I had from ETS. They were pretty much indicative of what I faced on the exam. The Verbal section is a strange beast. I would say not only review words, but also the word patterns you will see on that section.

Right, studying word patterns is definitely a good strategy. There's a lot of recurring themes that they use for antonyms and analogies.

The most difficult section in Verbal, I found, was reading comprehension. The sciency passages were A-OK, but the literary stuff was brutally boring (no offense) and thus hard to pay attention to the details. A lot of time was wasted re-reading those latter kinds of passages.

I have to say that I did substantially better on the real test than I did on any of the practice tests. I am talking about hundreds of points. Maybe I'm just a freak who does better under pressure?

The sciency passages were A-OK, but the literary stuff was brutally boring (no offense) and thus hard to pay attention to the details.

I felt otherwise. Even though I'm from a science background, I got an extremely boring marine biology passage which I just could not make myself care about. The history passage was pretty interesting though.

I took zillions of practice tests, so to make things easier for the OP I'll compare with the PowerPrep test I took the day before the real thing:

Q: same score

V: +50

The most difficult section in Verbal, I found, was reading comprehension. The sciency passages were A-OK, but the literary stuff was brutally boring (no offense) and thus hard to pay attention to the details. A lot of time was wasted re-reading those latter kinds of passages.

Reading comprehension was my bugaboo too. What I ended up doing was looking at the question first and then skimming the passage for the answer to that question--instead of trying to understand the whole selection right off the bat. I only read the whole selection if the question asked "The main idea of this passage was..." or something like that.