Korean International Relations degree reputations

Hi everyone, I'm an Indian student looking forward to pursuing a Master's in International Relations/Global Affairs in Fall 2015. I was thinking of applying to two grad schools in Seoul - Yonsei and Seoul National University - with no intentions of a Ph.D later. I'd like to delve right into GONGO work once I graduate.

I'm not entirely sure how a Korean degree will benefit me professionally in my career or job applications. I have an interest in the language (I can already read and write Korean, just can't speak it beyond elementary level) and the culture. Neither SNU nor Yonsei are my top choice schools, but they are my second and third. Both universities are nowhere as expensive as others, and I hear they offer generous scholarships to international students. I'd like to know if having their degrees will have any impacts on my IR ambitions, especially since they aren't too well known outside East Asia.

Cheers!

I have a number of friends pursuing grad degrees in South Korea, mostly through the Korean Government Scholarship Program. From their experiences, I would be very, very hesitant about recommending you to pursue a degree, even at Yonsei or SNU, unless your interests pertain to the Korean peninsula (NK rights, Korean history, etc). 

I understand the need for decent funding, though, and as a foreigner, you have a pretty good shot at winning scholarships and such in Korea. But I don't think you should expect a huge ROI with those degrees outside of a very narrow geographic region. Have you looked into IHEID in Geneva or University of Copenhagen (cheap tuition)? In Asia, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy in Singapore (tends to be good with scholarships for international students) might have a slightly further reach...

I was looking at Lee Kwan Yew but decided S. Rajaratnam at Nanyang was better suited for my requirements. Copenhagen...that I haven't looked into yet.

North Korean relations are very interesting to me but not what my primary interest is (gender and politics, which I suppose I could do in Seoul as well). At one point I was looking to focus on Korean relations and affairs and I honestly would not mind going back to that, but I will take your recommendations into consideration. I thought it shouldn't be a bad option especially since both SNU and Yonsei are registered under APSIA (http://www.apsia.org/member-schools/) with other IR schools like Columbia and Harvard.

Might I ask what degrees your friends are pursuing/have pursued, and what their experiences are? What is the job market for what they're pursuing like? I'm just trying to keep my options open.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Edited by guadalcanal