Thinking of All My Options

Hello,

Since I'm in the process of developing my application for grad school, I've been thinking very seriously of options that would make me a better candidate for high schools and community colleges. I'm thinking of getting my teaching certification to teach high school because I'm concerned about the adjunct opportunities and salaries. I'm wondering if it would better to be certified to teach high school and adjunct on the side. I currently have no undergraduate debt, but I'm wanting to enter a MA program in composition and rhetoric. Do you think an advanced degree in Comp/Rhet would make me more marketable for high school and cc teaching? I have a genuine interest in the field and was hoping it would have some applicability at the high school level.  I'm reviewing my options for certification for Oklahoma to try and develop a plan B. Like many on this board, I have serious reservations about academia, both about the proliferation of part time work instead of full time positions and the low adjunct pay. I'm afraid I won't be able to fully support myself simply adjuncting, but I'm committed to teaching, whether at a cc or high school. I've posted a link of my profile if that would help: 

Any and all input would be great! Thanks! 

Edited by Litgirl23

For a community college, certainly, and at some schools you'll need to have an MA in hand. I'm less sure about high school, but there are many states where MA candidates are paid better. Or, in some cases, where you have to complete your MA in a certain number of years after accepting the job. In some cases, the district will help pay for your MA. I would strongly encourage you to investigate programs where you could pay in-state tuition, whether you would be eligible for reimbursement after-the-fact or if they would pay your way as you go, and if there's a possibility of moving to a place with a funded MA. I think you should definitely investigate certification rules and pay rates/reimbursement plans for different states, as that will have a huge impact on your cost-benefit analysis. Good luck.

As far as the high school teaching question, it changes depending on the state, but in general, having an MA will help you because it will enable you to enter at a higher pay grade.  Additionally, even with entry-level positions, most states require that you achieve an MA at some point (which is why the online MA in ed. is so ubiquitous).  If you enter with an MA, even if you start pay-wise at entry level, it will eventually cover that requirement and, quite frankly, generally be a better educational experience.  For private secondary schools, having an MA or Ph.D. is generally a prereq for being hired.  I know several friends with Ph.D.s (from schools like U of Chicago for example) who now teach in private secondary schools.  Besides making bank and having job security, they love what they're doing, so the value of an MA for public school and Ph.D. for private school is apparent (there is research on this I've read but am too lazy to link now).  

However, the scene for the CC is rather different than secondary schools.  Do you have a Chronicle of Higher Ed subscription or access?  There are articles and blogs on this.  Anyway, increasingly post the recession, TT CC positions are filled by applicants holding a Ph.D.  Several of my friends who have graduated from a Ph.D. program recently have taken TT CC positions and LOVE them, but the fact that they hold a Ph.D. is beating out many applicants who hold only the MA.  I'd say if you really want a TT CC position, you should get the Ph.D.  There are many programs, especially in rhet/comp, that help you specialize in preparing to teach at a CC and doing the kind of editing, teaching, and writing that is specifically linked to a CC.  

Basically, I'd say do the MA and use that experience to figure out what you want to do - - secondary or CC.  If you want CC, I'd recommend you do the Ph.D.  If you decide secondary is best or at least a place you'd be happy, the MA is probably enough.  

best of luck!

ComBackZinc,

Thanks for the link; I'll definitely check it out. There is an increase in salary in Oklahoma with an MA and I'll take your suggestion to look at reimbursement options. I'm thinking it would still be beneficial to have an MA in comp/rhet rather than a masters in education because I'm hoping it could apply to college composition classes and high schools, both private and public. Also, maybe it's just me, but I haven't been impressed by many M.Ed programs; many of those in my state schools simply don't appear to be rigorous, and I'm afraid there's also been a recent surge in these types of degrees that wouldn't make me competitive for the job market, both for ccs and high schools.  Additionally, I'm looking at different certification paths to teach online classes. 

lyonessrampant, 

Unfortunately, I don't have a subscription, but I've been somewhat aware of the surge of PhD candidates teaching at ccs from the articles I could access. It's amazing how quickly post-recession all of the requirements changed. You mentioned that some comp/rhet programs are geared toward providing students education to prepare them for community college careers, but I'm curious as to how you can find this out. Should I look at departments' mission statements or at individual courses? I've been reviewing my in-state schools and it's been difficult to tell what these programs are focusing on. Maybe finding the actual course offerings would shed some light on this. 

Edited by Litgirl23

I'm not rhet/comp so I can't speak to which programs directly; I just remember seeing that in a Chronicle blog.  Anyway, looking at the course offerings over the last few years might give you a sense of that.  Also, look at/ask for placement records and see if a significant number of graduates take TT jobs at CCs.  That will probably indicate department support of preparing for CC jobs and success at preparing candidates as well.