Taking a Course Late

I am applying to lots of different PhD programs in pure mathematics. I am really hoping to get into a top 20 school. For various reasons I have put off taking my second semester of abstract algebra until my senior year. I am confident I can do well in it, and my math grades (including the first semester of abstract algebra) have all been As. I am wondering if waiting this long to take a required course could hurt my application, as I wouldn't get my grade back in that course until March. Would they have to make a decision before then? Should I be concerned about this?

They probably will make the decision before they see that grade, but in general, a single course grade would not have that much of an effect. They can use the other grades to determine your academic abilities (both in general and in math).

I disagree with TakeruK. I actually do think that this could be a problem, since abstract algebra and real analysis (and to lesser extent, topology, complex analysis, and geometry) are considered the "core" classes that pure math PhD programs (at least the top ones) are going to look at. The OP may be able to get away with not having an algebra class for an applicatoin to a lower ranked school, but not at the ones that s/he is targetting. Seing as the OP states that they would not have an algebra grade until March and most of the admission decisions will be made before then, this could certainly be a problem. However, there may be some other mitigating factors (like high GRE subject score and other graduate-level course work, strong letters, etc.).

OP: Do you have any other graduate courses on your transcript? If not, one of the potential barriers I foresee is that the most successful applicants to top 20 pure math programs typically have a few graduate courses already under their belt. At MIT, Harvard, etc., it is not uncommon for the admitted candidates to have been taking grad-level math classes since their freshman or sophomore year of college.

Edited by Applied Math to Stat

I was transferring experience in Physics grad programs to Math ones--i.e. many physics students do not take the "senior level" version of the "core" class until the final semester so most physics grad schools only see introductory level "core" courses and the Physics GRE only tests the intro level. But this seems like it was a mistake since a math grad student has pointed out my error! Sorry.

Also for the record, my overall GPA is just above 3.7, with above a 3.9 in my math classes. I am confident I have strong rec letters, and I am coming from a top 10 USNWR university. I also spent one summer at an REU where I wrote a paper on Chebyshev polynomials. 

Edited by wickerbasket

Also for the record, my overall GPA is just above 3.7, with above a 3.9 in my math classes. I am confident I have strong rec letters, and I am coming from a top 10 USNWR university. I also spent one summer at an REU where I wrote a paper on Chebyshev polynomials. 

For mathematics, adcoms don't seem to care that much about REUs, since they rarely resemble actual PhD research. You may want to consider taking algebra in the fall quarter so you can get an algebra grade on your transcript before applications. The main things that adcoms are going to look at are grades in abstract algebra, real analysis, advanced linear algebra, and complex analysis (bonus points if you have topology, geometry, and some graduate courses on there), breadth of math courses taken, letters of recommendation, and subject GRE score.

Given that you're coming from a top university, I think there might be less doubt about your ability to do graduate-level coursework, so algebra might be a better choice than graduate real analysis. Just something to consider... this is only my personal view though, maybe your advisor will know better and have different thoughts/better guidance.

Edited by Applied Math to Stat