University Selection :: Best Universities to get into Microsoft ?

ahmadka

Hi guys ... So I have this question related to choosing universities. I could've sworn there was a section here specifically for university selection. Where did it go ??

Anyways, I have a (somewhat clichéd) goal of entering Microsoft as a software engineer. So I want to try and choose some universities for MS in Computer Science which will maximize my chances for entering Microsoft.

I heard (I think from a Microsoft employee once) that there are certain universities which are affiliated with Microsoft, and students from those universities can directly enter Microsoft without any formal interviews !? Is this true ? Anyone know which universities are those ? I think University of Toronto was one which I was told, but I'm not certain.

Note that I have an Undergrad degree in Comp Engg, and a Masters in Comp Engg from Georgia Tech (via Fulbright). However I now want to do CS as well to maximize my chances.

Edited by ahmadka

It doesn't make sense to me why you want two Master's degrees. If you want to maximize your chances, I'd suggest more along the lines of getting experience. I think Google offers some internships, but you would have to look into that.

I'm not in your field, but I thought I;d give an outsider's view.

It doesn't make sense to me why you want two Master's degrees. If you want to maximize your chances, I'd suggest more along the lines of getting experience. I think Google offers some internships, but you would have to look into that.

I'm not in your field, but I thought I;d give an outsider's view.

That's actually a good question. There are several reasons reasons behind the idea of getting a second Masters:

1) I want to get US based experience as most of the world's software industry is there. Since I'm currently outside the US, applying from here is proving virtually useless to me because I'm physically far away. If I entered the US again and applied from there, my chances would be much better I think.

2) In my previous years I wasn't very clear about my future direction, and I ended up pursuing degree's which I think help me only partially. My passion is Software Development but I'm by education an engineer. So there' a mismatch which I want to correct.

3) Yeah I would have to study my ass off again for a 3rd time, but I actually want to get a Computer Science degree. This may sound strange to some, but I feel weird having two degrees which actually don't help me out professionally that much. I have people around me who got degrees directly related to their line of work. I feel like I'm missing out on that feeling, so I personally want to get a degree which I know is what I want.

That's actually a good question. There are several reasons reasons behind the idea of getting a second Masters:

1) I want to get US based experience as most of the world's software industry is there. Since I'm currently outside the US, applying from here is proving virtually useless to me because I'm physically far away. If I entered the US again and applied from there, my chances would be much better I think.

2) In my previous years I wasn't very clear about my future direction, and I ended up pursuing degree's which I think help me only partially. My passion is Software Development but I'm by education an engineer. So there' a mismatch which I want to correct.

3) Yeah I would have to study my ass off again for a 3rd time, but I actually want to get a Computer Science degree. This may sound strange to some, but I feel weird having two degrees which actually don't help me out professionally that much. I have people around me who got degrees directly related to their line of work. I feel like I'm missing out on that feeling, so I personally want to get a degree which I know is what I want.

Ah, I see. I'm sorry I can't help you with university selection (U of T is in Canada, by the way, but closer to the US than you probably are right now). All I can say is good luck and I hope you do find your university match.

May not be the best time to get into Microsoft with them announcing the layoff of 18,000.

Yeah I read about that .. They might even lay off even more people if things still don't improve for their mobile division ..

Edited by ahmadka