Can You Be Too Young For Grad School?

Xxanderr

I will be applying fresh out of undergrad for Fall 2016, so next year around this time. After surfing through grade cafe, I'm wondering if being fresh out of undergrad can some how effect the outcome of a grad schools decision to enroll you? Has anyone herd anything regarding applying fresh out of undergrad for grad schools. It'll be even more helpful to know which schools prefer newly graduates or harden veterans, vice versa. 

Thanks! 

I know a couple of people at yale's programme who went right after their undergrad, though it's definitely not the norm. An advantage would be if your portfolio is not necessarily student work/assignments.

I know a couple of people at yale's programme who went right after their undergrad, though it's definitely not the norm. An advantage would be if your portfolio is not necessarily student work/assignments.

Darn....this is why I'm starting my grad portfolio now. Trying to make grad level work  through assignments and also outside of class. Yale actually has a six week spring pre-grad program/ Fellowship program, which is  specifically design for college Juniors. It makes sense that Yale would be one of the programs that takes very talented undergrads. I research "pre-grad" program that some schools offer and a majority of them besides Yale,  seemed to be geared towards newly BFA's and practicing artist. If I don't get into the Yale Fellowship next spring, I think I might try to attend Knoxville 2 week Printmaking program, it very affordable compared to VCU summer program. Whatever I can do to make a competitive body of work for my portfolio. 

http://KevinArt.foliohd.com/view/0Wq  : In-Progress Printmaking portfolio so far from my sophomore year. 

Lolapola, CONGRATS on your VCU acceptance and even landing a Yale interview, that's cray cray! 

Hey! I attended Yale's summer programme and it was extremely helpful. It gave me a better understanding of what the grad school environment would be like, how teachers at Yale approach the various disciplines, and what it's like to make work independent of deadlines and assignments. Plus, I met some extremely talented an driven young artists (several of whom went on to study at Yale) who continue to inform the way I think about art. If you can get nominated by your school, I would highly recommend it. Also, don't wait to be nominated, talk to whoever is in charge on your own. Let me know of you have any questions!

It also transformed my work and made me reconsider the place that critique holds in the development of one's work. The programme is very intense and consists of a bunch of different classes + some extra time in the end to do your own thing. Lots of visiting artists, fantastic food, great talks.

I'm for sure not waiting around.  I have already contacted Yale and the Fine Art Chair of my school, to see how the heck I can get nominated for next spring. From your time at the Yale Summer program or during the process of your nomination, did you somehow find out how the heck Yale chooses which schools to nominated students from? Honesty the whole nomination process is really mysterious. 

So glad to here that the 6 weeks is worth while, wouldn't have expected anything less from Yale. I have read somewhere that you get college credits, is that true?

Thanks so much lolapola, for sharing this information, you have shed some light on this mysterious Yale Summer program. This will be someday be helpful to someone. 

It also transformed my work and made me reconsider the place that critique holds in the development of one's work. The programme is very intense and consists of a bunch of different classes + some extra time in the end to do your own thing. Lots of visiting artists, fantastic food, great talks.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for grad school straight out of undergrad. Got my Masters at the age of 24 (two months shy of 25) It's been a year since I graduated but I wasn't the only one I knew who did it. It depends on the school usually but it does happen. 

I applied for grad school straight out of undergrad. Got my Masters at the age of 24 (two months shy of 25) It's been a year since I graduated but I wasn't the only one I knew who did it. It depends on the school usually but it does happen. 

Thanks for responding. 

Which art program did you apply too? 

• 1 month later...

I am applying for Fall 2015 and would be 24 at the beginning of the program. I, too, have had some concerns about being younger than other applicants and was hoping to hear from some people who have already experienced this - even if it wasn’t you being the youngest but you were in a program with younger people? I would like to assume that age doesn’t really make a difference in a grad school community but I have no idea what to expect. 

Hi allybee,

I don't think age would make a difference once you get in to a program. I interviewed last year and had one faculty member speak about a hesitation to admit younger applicants (not me). However, I think that was specific to that program (I didn't notice that elsewhere, and the younger applicants were more like 21. 24 is closer to the average and you shouldn't have any problems getting in or participating in grad programs at that age. 

Hello All,

Just as a general reply to the OP, the pacing for each person is different. I have read a lot, and it was my personal experience, that taking a year off (at least) between Undergrad and Grad school is the way to go. Of course, this is not the end-all be-all so to speak. There are people in my program at MICA who are straight out of undergrad (one guy is only 21). Most of the people at MICA are on the younger side, myself included (I'll be 24 when I graduate in 2016.) At the end of the day, it is the strength of your work that is going to get you accepted, not your age.

Oh and I'll go ahead and point out that the dude that is 21 is making some of the strongest work in the program. You just have to be really honest with yourself once you are at the point where you're thinking of applying. Decide if your work shows the maturity of an artist ready to enter this more intense phase of your career; if you think it is, then go for it. If not, take a year and see if you are able to sustain your work, and start to learn to balance your "real life" with your "studio life". That aspect of time management/prioritizing is extremely useful once you arrive at Grad school.

Hope this helps