Legitimate M.Sc Online?

The Pedanticist

Apparently Edinburgh is offering their MSc/Dip/PGCert Epistemology, Ethics and Mind (Online).  It says on the website, "This programme would be an ideal foundation for further graduate work in Philosophy, providing a basis for research especially in the core areas of epistemology, ethics, and philosophy of mind and cognitive science. The programme would also be suitable for those who simply wish to gain an insight into cutting-edge topics in contemporary philosophy."  At least they are suggesting that the program is for furthering a students graduate education...

What do you guys think of this program?  It seems like things are going in this direction.  At my school I've been put on the task force to move our public speaking classes(!) online. It might be an intriguing program if someone doesn't get in anywhere else, especially since one can complete the PG certificate in 9 months.  

Edited by The Pedanticist

ediburgh is an interesting place to do philosophy. i have a soft spot for their program because 1. if you really know what you are doing, you can get the ph.d in 3 years,by doing well the first year at the m.phil an immediately transferring as a 2nd year ph.d student. and 2. one of my fav philosphers, Timothy Sprigge was a professor there.

the online masters is a new thing and unfortunately, i wount recommend it unless as a last resort or if you simply want a master's for some other non graduate purpose. the problem is, philosophy is seen and with good reason best done with close interaction among its members, even if you do well in this master's it may raise a red flag as to why you chose a program of this type as opposed to a regular program which is unfortunate. if you like, apply to it as a safety school if you are not willing to wait another year doing nothing.

ediburgh is an interesting place to do philosophy. i have a soft spot for their program because 1. if you really know what you are doing, you can get the ph.d in 3 years,by doing well the first year at the m.phil an immediately transferring as a 2nd year ph.d student. and 2. one of my fav philosphers, Timothy Sprigge was a professor there.

the online masters is a new thing and unfortunately, i wount recommend it unless as a last resort or if you simply want a master's for some other non graduate purpose. the problem is, philosophy is seen and with good reason best done with close interaction among its members, even if you do well in this master's it may raise a red flag as to why you chose a program of this type as opposed to a regular program which is unfortunate. if you like, apply to it as a safety school if you are not willing to wait another year doing nothing.

I'm not taking it too seriously, but it does say that its main purpose is to train people for further graduate studies.  And since it is coming from such a good program there has to be something there at least...but who knows.  Maybe I'll contact some profs I know on adcomms.  

The nice thing about it is that you can apply whenever and work at it part time.  You can actually still apply for this coming September.  (Which is both nice and quite concerning at the same time).  This might be just the thing for people who are returning, or want a part time gig or who have not got much of a background in phil.  

It would be interesting to see some placement, if any, from this program in a couple of years.

Edited by The Pedanticist

if you can explain for example a personal reason why a long distance program  was ideal for you, like family obligation, distance issues ect, an you do really well, then im sure the reviewers of your application will be a lot more sympathetic.

as for being open to applying this late , i woudnt take it as too alarming. the UK system simply cannot fund everyone who applies so its not like they have a finite amount of people they can fund, so they must choose in advance. over there, even in schools like cambridge and oxford, funding is a privilege and not an expectation so the admission/funding situation is different. first you get accepted and then you must prove how you will fund it, out of pocket or by scholarship. in their defense, their programs are a lot cheaper out of pocket than here in the states if you get accepted without funding, hence we say that in the states that if they dont fund you, they might as not want you.

even in the UK though, the universities commit their scholarships in january-april so if they do accept afterwards i woudnt get my hopes up in terms of funding even if you are an amazing student since more often than not, they already ran out.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently Edinburgh is offering their MSc/Dip/PGCert Epistemology, Ethics and Mind (Online).  It says on the website, "This programme would be an ideal foundation for further graduate work in Philosophy, providing a basis for research especially in the core areas of epistemology, ethics, and philosophy of mind and cognitive science. The programme would also be suitable for those who simply wish to gain an insight into cutting-edge topics in contemporary philosophy."  At least they are suggesting that the program is for furthering a students graduate education...

What do you guys think of this program?  It seems like things are going in this direction.  At my school I've been put on the task force to move our public speaking classes(!) online. It might be an intriguing program if someone doesn't get in anywhere else, especially since one can complete the PG certificate in 9 months.  

Can the online student hear all of the lectures that the on-campus student would hear? Do the online courses cover the same material in the same amount of depth? Do the online courses have the same method of assessment as the ones on campus?