CV Formatting Question - Employment History Description

Ann361

Hi All,

Apologies if this has previously been discussed - the term "CV" is too short to search in the forum.

I'm writing my first CV and I'm wondering about the amount of detail employment descriptions should have (if any at all).  I have a few years of art world experience, but no publications, teaching experience, etc, so I'd like to put more emphasis on my past jobs.

A friend with similar experience (now in a PhD program) said she listed all duties on her CV - from developing exhibition checklists to painting accession numbers.  Most of the sample CV's I've looked at don't list any responsibilities, but they are all contain more academic histories.  Which is correct?

Also, which is preferable: bullet points or short paragraph form?

I've created a hybrid CV/resume so far after reading a few mentions of them on non-art history forums.  The job descriptions are bullet-ed and a little less wordy than my resume, but I include many extra fields for academic awards, internships, study abroad, etc.  Is this an okay format?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I don't think it really matters. At this stage of your career, you wouldn't have done enough to have a real academic CV. That's fine. In any case, I wouldn't recommend writing short paragraphs. What you say you did should work well.

I believe most applications have the hybrid CV/Resume. Mine did. It was organized like a CV (Education first/internships/etc. I skipped out on listing non-art jobs like retail, etc.) but it listed my responsibilities like a resume. Go for it! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I would follow the CV formatting guidelines for art historians on the College Art Association website: http://www.collegeart.org/guidelines/arthistcv

Mine is ordered as follows:

Education

Professional Experience (you can list other jobs here, but I'd probably only focus on what is relevant)

Awards/Fellowships/Grants

Publications

Presentations

Professional Affiliations

Languages