East Asian Studies 2015

hi,

have you received an official acceptance/letter? do you by any chance know whether or not they had already contacted all the admitted students and when they'll notify the rest of the applicants?

thanks & congratulation!

p.s. i pressed the red arrow by accident--thought it was a reply button for a sec--and can't seem to undo it. sorry!

Not a problem RE: downvote---it took me a while to figure out how this place worked, too. 

The email I received did include an official letter. I'm not sure whether the program sends out acceptances all at once or in waves. 

I've been pretty active on the lit forum here since my interest is in modern comparative literatures, and have found the community incredibly supportive and helpful. Would love to see the same vibe here, especially since Asian Studies is a small field! 

I just got an informal acceptance from my POI at UCLA. I thought for sure I was out because others received official letters, but it looks like acceptances are rolling out over a couple days--including the weekend! Thought it would be nice to update people who are still waiting. Good luck all!

Big congrats to fancypants and all of the other UCLA admits! Such an awesome program, I bet you are ecstatic! Would you mind if I ask what your research interests are?

Sorry for the late response---it was kind of a crazy day yesterday. 

Will send you a PM RE: my research interests---while I'm happy to share, I'd like to maintain this somewhat anonymous state on GC until I hear back from all the schools. I'm happy to share this and other details (stats, etc.) with others who may be interested. Thanks for your understanding. :)

And big congrats on the UCLA acceptance yourself, on top of your other amazing options!

Congratulations to everyone on the acceptances! I hear UCLA is great for Japanese lit/history.

I was accepted to Yale for EALL/Film and now I'm just planning visits to New Haven and LA.  :) A whole different type of stress -- what if they meet me and don't like me??? -- but a much more welcome one. 

Congratulations to everyone on the acceptances! I hear UCLA is great for Japanese lit/history.

I was accepted to Yale for EALL/Film and now I'm just planning visits to New Haven and LA.  :) A whole different type of stress -- what if they meet me and don't like me??? -- but a much more welcome one. 

Congrats splintercat! So great to see potential future cohorts on GC :)

FYI to people waiting on Michigan: I heard back from my POI today that acceptances were sent out on Friday. Unfortunately I was rejected, but seriously no hard feelings there---the POI mentioned that it was fit more than anything, and said that she would be happy to remain a point of contact throughout my career regardless of where I end up going. 

Here's to the start of a new week...may it bring all of us great news :)

Awesome news splintercat! I just sent you a PM about your Yale visit.

Thanks for the update fancypants. Too bad about not getting admitted, but it sounds like you will have a valuable connection there in the end.

I have a forthcoming campus visit to Columbia and am experiencing the exact same stress. I keep thinking that I have to "prepare" by refreshing myself on the scholarship of everyone in the department...like it's an interview or something!

Anyways, congratulations on Yale and UCLA. And it's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who is a little anxious about visiting...

I have a forthcoming campus visit to Columbia and am experiencing the exact same stress. I keep thinking that I have to "prepare" by refreshing myself on the scholarship of everyone in the department...like it's an interview or something!

Anyways, congratulations on Yale and UCLA. And it's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who is a little anxious about visiting...

Congrats on Columbia! I understand the nerves---it's much like going on a first date! But I'm sure you'll be fine, they've accepted you already :) 

And it looks like I may be visiting LA in early March. If anyone is around or will be visiting around the same time, would love to meet!

For USC? If so, I'll see you there! :)

Harvard decisions were out on Wednesday - I was personally rejected by my current advisor! T_T But it was expected and I think my other options are better fits. :D My friend got accepted via email from her POI (her current advisor) - I would guess the other admits heard similarly? Anyway, congrats to the people who got in and good luck to the waitlist people (I mean, if you really want to go).

Sorry to hear about the rejection, splintercat, especially from your own advisor! It looks like your other options are much closer to what you are interested in and at equally prestigious programs. Still more evidence that fit is the name of the game!

Did anyone receive the notice of HEAL from Harvard? I was interviewed by POI over a month ago but haven't been noticed so far... Did EALC and HEAL send mails at the same time? Many thanks.

Edited by lklklk

Sorry to hear about the rejection, splintercat, especially from your own advisor! It looks like your other options are much closer to what you are interested in and at equally prestigious programs. Still more evidence that fit is the name of the game!

Haha, thanks! My advisor (who is great and was very nice about it) said it was a matter of numbers -- how many people applied, which professors wanted students, etc -- but I also don't think our interests line up quite as well as they might have. So keep in mind: fit and the strange background politics of admissions committees! 

Did anyone receive the notice of HEAL from Harvard? I was interviewed by POI over a month ago but haven't been noticed so far... Did EALC and HEAL send mails at the same time? Many thanks.

I don't know for sure, but I think last year HEAL notified later...? Also everything here is a mess right now because of all the snow days! Don't stress too much! 

I don't know for sure, but I think last year HEAL notified later...? Also everything here is a mess right now because of all the snow days! Don't stress too much!

Thanks for the reply! Since I got the offer from Columbia last week, they hoped I can make my decision as soon as possible. Good luck!

Aha, how did you get the news about being waitlisted? I guess I am doomed..

No need for doom and gloom---you could be on the waitlist as well! I checked on the online application site---there was a link on the front page to the decision letter. 

It's good to know you still have a shot at Harvard, fancypants. Making the waitlist at a school of Harvard's caliber is still something to celebrate, I'd say!

Thanks for the encouragement! 

Haha, thanks! My advisor (who is great and was very nice about it) said it was a matter of numbers -- how many people applied, which professors wanted students, etc -- but I also don't think our interests line up quite as well as they might have. So keep in mind: fit and the strange background politics of admissions committees! 

Sorry to hear, splintercat. And thanks for sharing what your advisor mentioned about the reasoning behind the admissions results.