East Asian Studies 2015

Finally got a response from U Penn EALC Ph. D. They claim they sent my rejection email on March 25th, which is not likely since I never received it. And to this day, the online application system has never been updated to reflect the result of my application. A very unprofessional operation in comparison to the other four schools to which I applied.

I however will not be shedding any tears, though, since I got into my first choice.

I take back what I said earlier about 2nd year students not getting FLAS in the Georgetown Asian Studies program. I know of some rising second years who have gotten it. I am still waiting on results though. Something was wrong with my FAFSA unfortunately, and if this is the reason I don't get FLAS, I  am going to be very, very upset. 

Edited by MastersHoping

• 1 month later...

To revive a dead thread, does anyone know anything about UCLA's Ph.D program in the department of Asian Languages and Cultures (ALC)? I stumbled across it recently and looks like it would be interesting for me (plus, the chance to experience sunny LA weather after having grown up in Canada and spent undergrad in Chicago sounds very enticing XD ) 

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I am a East Asian Studies master student and I am currently struggling with my final thesis paper. Can somebody help me with some advices regarding the topic that I am pursuing: `Orientalism and stereotypes of East Asian  people (Chinese, Japanese people) in Western World`. I was thinking about Edward Said's `Orientalism` but I am not at all sure what stereotype research books are relevant (because there are so many and I am so confused). I decided I should first explain the concepts of `Orientalism`, `Self`, `Other` (according to Said) and the notion of `stereotype portrayal` in general and then, for the second chapter, to write about `Stereotype representations in Western media and Hollywood films`. As for the final chapter to be all about a questionnaire I made and the interpretation of the data. What do you think? Can someone suggest some books about stereotypes that are relevant for this type of research. I am extremely desperate because my tutor doesn't have time to give me advices and make comments and I feel so lost. Thank you in advance and I really appreciate.