Does anyone have experience with a SAIS language placement exam?

hedong123

I deferred my admission for one year and know that I can get my Korean up to a high enough level that I can test out of the language upon matriculation.  This would enable me to choose to learn a new language or perhaps take on an internship during my studies.

I know my reading and listening skills are good enough to test out.  I'm concerned about the speaking part of the exam.  Does anyone have experience with this?  What is the format of the speaking part of the language test?  How much of it is general conversation and how much of it is  based on academic related speaking.  Are some of the questions based on current events?

I'll contact the program if no one on here knows.  I'm just really curious about this.

Thanks!

The placement exam is a one on one verbal exam with a senior language instructor. It is not challenging. Intermediate mid or high are usually the proficiency levels you need to achieve before you graduate. The proficiency tests are easier than the OPI. If you study in Nanjing, you will need to be at intermediate high to advanced low to be accepted into that program. The graduation proficiency test is not challenging and they waived it for me after the placement test. You will have to take a placement test in whatever language you study. Language classes at SAIS do not count towards your GPA. Most of my fellow students could pass the proficiency test upon admission. Many of us take advanced/post-proficiency classes. They usually meet once a week and keep our language abilities current. SAIS will tailor advanced language classes for your needs. SAIS has a diverse student body and many of us practice/exercise our language skills with native/heritage speakers while playing a game of snooker in the SAIS downstairs lounge. Here's a chart which should answer your instant question with regard to proficiency levels.

http://www.sais-jhu.edu/languagestudies#section-3391

Edited by riverguide

Hello Riverguide,

Thank you very much for the helpful response to my question.

Just to clarify, you were waived from the graduation proficiency test just based on your verbal placement exam?  You didn't even have to take a listening or a reading test to demonstrate your skills in those areas?

Also, do you remember what you talked about during the language exam?  Did you have to talk about current events/international affairs?  Or was it mostly casual conversion?

The placement exam covers the usual topics…education (yours), personal (not too), current events (including international events in countries where the language is spoken), etc. I was a waived exception to the proficiency exam…based on other reasons, Anyone can develop advanced proficiency if you work it and spend time overseas. Korean, btw, is a strategic language. You should stick with it and pick up Japanese, too. Taking the Middlebury Summer Intensive language program (in the states or abroad) is the easiest route to achieving advanced fluency. SAIS encourages its students to learn strategic languages but romance languages will satisfy the requirements. Good luck! Hope to see you at the preterm Happy Hours!

Edited by riverguide

The placement exam covers the usual topics…education (yours), personal (not too), current events (including international events in countries where the language is spoken), etc. I was a waived exception to the proficiency exam…based on other reasons, Anyone can develop advanced proficiency if you work it and spend time overseas. Korean, btw, is a strategic language. You should stick with it and pick up Japanese, too. Taking the Middlebury Summer Intensive language program (in the states or abroad) is the easiest route to achieving advanced fluency. SAIS encourages its students to learn strategic languages but romance languages will satisfy the requirements. Good luck! Hope to see you at the preterm Happy Hours!

Could you elaborate a bit on the part about picking up Japanese? I've been wanting to do so but have had trouble justifying it to myself when I could be perfecting my Korean or picking up Chinese instead. Would love to be convinced that learning Japanese is the way to go, though.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't trying to be contentious in my question--was just genuinely curious as to the benefits of knowing both over knowing Korean and another language. I've studied a bit of Japanese in the past, and the transition does seem quite doable, with many shared words, similar grammatical structures, etc. I just didn't go any further with it for the reason I mentioned.