Columbia GSAS

Vitalbreath

Hey there everyone! I was wondering if anyone has been able to get in contact with Columbia's GSAS office through the phone or via emailing them at mw14@columbia.edu. I have been trying to call almost every day for the past week and no one has picked up the phone or returned an email. I applied for their Masters in Biotechnology program and am getting really nervous that I haven't heard anything, has anyone else?

Question to you who have applied and received notice to any program. Did the online application system say your application was under review at any point or that you had been accepted/rejection?

If anyone knows a good way for me to contact them, please let me know!

Thank you =)

I've been trying to call them all day and to no avail. I believe it might be because this is commencement week. People have managed to get through so I guess we just have to keep trying- good luck! Also, I have heard that Madeline Rivera of GSAS admissions has been telling people whether they were accepted or not over the phone, so try to get ahold of her.

Hey, no I haven't heard anything yet either. I actually got in touch with the office last week and she said that some select people have heard back but that not everyone has and that they were still in the process of making decisions.

Hopefully we'll hear back soon =/. Let me know if you hear anything! =)

btw - does your online application say under review or anything at all?

No, online application gives nothing away on whats happening. It's just so frustrating. I already got into all the other schools I applied to. I might just accept NYU's offer at the end of the day. If it's taking this long, I don't think I will get into Columbia.

Received a response to an email I sent to Madeline Rivera on the 25th. The response was from Marilyn Watkins-Wilkerson [mw14@columbia.edu]

"Dear XXX, your application is complete. Hopefully, you will know the status of your application very soon. You will receive an e-mail."

My application has been complete since April 1st and I really wish they were not so vague. I wonder what is taking so long. I really hope we find out by the end of the first week of June. It be nice to know that we can accept other places and look for apartments/apply for graduate housing before the summer is half way over.

• 2 weeks later...

I got finally informed on the 26th of May...with an online letter of acceptance. After severe email hounding to Madeleine and the rest of GSAS. They didnt call me - just got email replies. However, once i accepted their offer...I can no longer access really important visa information. Any other international students stressing out over whether or not there might be enough time to get everything in order?

am pretty dissappointed with how disorganised everything seems. However, still waiting on a reply from the New School.

I got finally informed on the 26th of May...with an online letter of acceptance. After severe email hounding to Madeleine and the rest of GSAS. They didnt call me - just got email replies. However, once i accepted their offer...I can no longer access really important visa information. Any other international students stressing out over whether or not there might be enough time to get everything in order?

am pretty dissappointed with how disorganised everything seems. However, still waiting on a reply from the New School.

Congrats on being accepted. I am still waiting. Hoping to hear something soon.

Congratulations kayhell!!! I hope everything works out for you and your student visa, but knowing how this process has gone, you are definitely going to have to hound them for that information as well.

On the other hand, I am also still waiting and getting quite frustrated. I'll be calling in tomorrow and if I do not hear anything by the end of the week I am going to hand in my deposit for UPenn. I don't want to risk losing space in classes or housing.

jusef87, do you have any other acceptances?

Congratulations kayhell!!! I hope everything works out for you and your student visa, but knowing how this process has gone, you are definitely going to have to hound them for that information as well.

On the other hand, I am also still waiting and getting quite frustrated. I'll be calling in tomorrow and if I do not hear anything by the end of the week I am going to hand in my deposit for UPenn. I don't want to risk losing space in classes or housing.

jusef87, do you have any other acceptances?

Yeah, I have been accepted to all the other schools (Rutgers, UCONN, NYU) to which I applied. I have already sent in my deposit for NYU. Congrats on UPenn, it isn't really a lose going there instead of Columbia. Will let you know if I ever hear from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. So I FINALLY received an informal acceptance email today. Its a shame that their admissions was so unresponsive considering they were one of my top choices [the top for a while until I delved into more programs deeper]. I will be sending in my decline response today, I hope its useful if any of you were wait-listed. Here is the letter:

Dear Ms. XXXXX,

We are pleased to invite you to join the Master's Program in Biotechnology. You will be receiving an official letter of offer from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) shortly by email.

When you receive the letter from GSAS, you will be asked to respond officially by a certain date. In addition, I'd appreciate if you let me know, even if unofficially, your decision as soon as possible. I hope you decide to come. But if you do decline this offer, please tell us why. Please check below:

Will join the program full time

Will join the program part time

Will not join the program; accepted to another program: (please specify)

Will not attend graduate school because of

Financial difficulty

Other job or personal commitment

Change of career goal

Others

Will you consider join our program in the future if situation changes?

Anything else you can tell us? Please be as candid as possible. Your response will make us a better and a more attractive program.

Meanwhile, if you have any question or wish to know more about the program, please feel free to contact me. I hope to see you soon as a new student in our program.

With best wishes.

Sincerely,

Carol Lin