To switch departments or not?...is the question

I am about to begin the 2nd year of my MA degree (which is combined MA.PHD program) but lately I have been strongly considering just getting the MA and teaching some time in High school, while figuring out if I really want to pursue the PhD. My program is very literature based and my heart is just not in it all the way.

Now the question, or more like advice that I am seeking is what to do now. I contacted the department of education in my school and they said I could transfer to their program and get the necessary certifications, and this way I would only have to be an additional 1 year extra in school, however since under the MA/PhD program I do get full tuition remission and teach a class in exchange for a salary and in the education department they said I cannot get this (especially this year). If I do this switch I might loose my TA'ship and I am not sure if I could even get tuition remission....

So, not sure what to do...do I go to my department and ask them if I could still do the TA'ship if I switch, although I am pretty sure since it's a different department they will probably not approve the fee waiver or just stick with this MA and then get certified?

If anyone ever switched departments or is familiar with these politics please let me know.

Thanks

What exactly are you getting your MA/PhD in, and what are you hoping to teach? Generally, you pay for a Masters in education unless it's a subject that's in demand. I got mine mostly paid for, because I was certified for math and special ed, but all the elementary school and English teachers I know paid for theirs. So unless you're in an in demand field, if you switched to the school of education, you'd probably be paying. 

I don't think the department you're thinking about leaving has any incentive to keep giving you tuition remission or a TAship through their department. Perhaps they're very generous, but I don't know of many schools that would fund a student who is no longer in their department over an incoming student. The worst you can do is ask, though. If you decide to stay in your current department, it might be a little awkward, but they likely wouldn't take away your funding. 

Have you looked at what the requirements are for the state you're hoping to teach in? The requirements vary a lot, and a content degree might be acceptable to get certified. You also might be able to find work in a private or possibly charter school; they have their own set of requirements, and a Masters with some kind of teaching experience (from your time working as a TA) would likely be enough. You can also look at community colleges, although you would probably only get hired as an adjunct. 

yes i looked into those options. My specialty is foreign language and i wanted to apply to both private schools and public to teach, but in my state although i could get alternate certification, jobs are hard to come by. But i am really currently in a good financial funding situation and i would hate to give it up.

If you want a job teaching in the US, I would recommend getting certified in ESL in addition to your foreign language. There are jobs in ESL pretty much everywhere, and you might be able to find a position where you teach some ESL and some language classes. If you just want to teach somewhere and are a native English teacher, you could teach English abroad. Some countries/schools require TESOL certification, but there's also plenty of places that will hire pretty much anyone who is a native English speaker. 

But if you're trying to decide if you want to finish your program, why would you make a plan that requires so much effort? You're thinking about spending another year in school, possibly paying for it, just so you can be certified to do something you want to try out, while you decide if your heart is really in it for the PhD. You would spend two years away from your department and your PhD process, which might make it hard to go back if you decide that is what you want. Why not ask your advisor about your options within your current department? Why not just take a leave of absence and find a job that doesn't require extra schooling? Why not just spend another year in your program and see how you feel at the end? 

perpetuavix..primarily it is because my advisor has not been very encouraging at all. And I was told I need to get better in certain areas before continuing on...SO since I cannot just take a year off and have some personal obligations, I really want to step away after my MA and teach, decide whether I want to go with school teaching or college and then decide on the PhD. My idea to change departments was mainly because I wanted to get certified as well along the way, but of course I could do that once I get a job in a private school as well. I am staying here for one more year but after that I have to decide-so I am preparing this decision now.