Getting Experience after Undergraduate Degree. Thoughts?

Epoh

Hey so I am a recent arts graduate who majored in psychology that is looking to apply to clinical psych PhD programs in the United States (from Canada). I don't intend to apply to more than 5 or 6 PhD programs because it seems like my chances coming out of undergrad are quite slim, despite the fact I have 2 years of research experience. So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma which I'm hoping some people can help me out with here. At my university in Canada there aren't many paid RA positions, and I've gathered enough experience with the two supervisors who share the same interests as me. I am interested in anxiety and depression, and integrating neurobiological and cognitive perspectives in these disorders to understand risk markers. My question:

What options do I have for paid research in Canada or the United States? Is most post-bacc research in the US volunteer work? I am willing to move if I have to. Or, am I better off applying for some master's programs in the US (my own preference) and going that route assuming I don't get into the PhD programs I apply for? If anyone knows some labs relating to my interests in anxiety and depression, or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I am currently in the same boat, but I have found it easy to find paid research positions that schools are taking applications for.  Most, however, are not really that close to where I live.  But schools such as Indiana University, which is near me, have school of medicine departments that perform a lot of research, and are constantly hiring assistants and technicians to work in clinical and non-clinical labs.  I have had several in-person interviews for clinical research positions, although I have been unsuccessful thus far.

Look at the employment sites for universities near you, or where you would like to work.  Some may allow you to filter for "Research" positions, or you can enter "research" into a search field and look that way.  I also look for jobs at Indeed.com (or other job search engines) and Higheredjobs.com.  I usually just enter "Psychology Research" into the search area and find jobs that way.  You can also get creative and look for private institutes via google that have employment opportunities in research.  Paid research positions for post-bachelor grads DO exist.  There are just not that many in some areas or at some universities. 

Just a heads up though, out of the god knows how many applications I have submitted across the country, I have only heard from 3 schools regarding positions that I applied for outside of the state I live in, while I have heard back from IU about 4 of the 5 positions I met qualifications for.  It appears that most schools really only look at qualified applicants in their area.

I live in an upstate ny city with a top private research university...ahem... and I meet a lot of people, particularly in psych who have a bachelor's and are in research positions at the university. If Ahoy_Miloy sees the same thing in Bloomington, I would wager a guess that most universities with strong psych programs have a lot of bachelors level researchers working for them. Also, DC has the NIH and probably similar organizations, I would think research hubs like that would have opportunities as well.

I live in an upstate ny city with a top private research university...ahem... and I meet a lot of people, particularly in psych who have a bachelor's and are in research positions at the university. If Ahoy_Miloy sees the same thing in Bloomington, I would wager a guess that most universities with strong psych programs have a lot of bachelors level researchers working for them. Also, DC has the NIH and probably similar organizations, I would think research hubs like that would have opportunities as well.

The opportunities I've seen at NIH have mainly been for US citizens or permanent residents unfortunately, but I'll keep searching their site. I've sent out applications for paid research opportunities at Duke, and a few places in Canada but they basically throw my application into a pool of people and then hire from it when a supervisor needs a project, so it could be next month or a year from now if there isn't a PI sharing similar interests who has work.

I took interest in 3 or 4 labs in NY and all of them were volunteer based, which makes things hard for me when I'd have to move and find a job alongside volunteering just to live for the year I have to stay for. I'll take a look around at other major universities and see what they're offering though. Appreciate it.