Realistic Chances?

grad101

Dear Gradcafe readers,

First of all, thanks for reading my post and for all the greatful advice you provide. I recently found this forum and I feel its a very helpful resource for graduate school prospective applicants.

Like everyone else, I have few questions regarding the process and it would be great to know people's opinion. I graduated from top 20 public university last year (May 2008) with a BS in Biology (specifically, Neurobiology/Physiology). I have few years of research experience. I worked one summer at NIH, also worked for a year in a faculty molecular biology lab working on finding the role of a specific protein in the cellular machinery. I am currently employed as a research associate in an immunology lab where I work to test the TB vaccines on animal samples. I am looking into applying for PhD programs either in Immunology or Molecular Biology for fall 2010. I have a fairly average GPA (3.5). I have yet to give my GRE's. What are the score ranges I should be targeting at if I wanted to apply to good programs/schools (U Mich, Northwestern, Weill, WUSTL, UCSF, etc.). My diagnostic test score was around 1200. So, I am looking to raise at least 200 more points with learning extensive vocab for the verbal section and doing as much practice on math section. Math is pretty learnable. Its the verbal I am having hard time with. Are there any tips or strategies I can use to increase my verbal score?

Do you guys think I have a realistic chance at these schools? Or is my GPA on the low side to be even considered? What should I do to increase my application credentials?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice.

Your GPA is fine. Your research experience is a huge plus. And a GRE score over 1200 would be solid, but 1400+ would be outstanding. How are your LORs gonna be?

I'd say its definitely worth it to apply to those schools, but if the economy doesn't improve and the 2010 admissions cycle is anything like the 2009 cycle, then i'd strongly recommend applying to a few lower schools as well. A lot of grad programs this year were forced to cut back on the number of admitted students because of lack of funding.

I can't really speak to the GRE requirements for molecular biology; most of my experience is in the physics and engineering fields. However, research experience is huge in the sciences, and yours looks top notch. Have you published any papers, or given any talks on your research? Will your research advisor(s) write you a good recommendation?

Also, will you be taking a GRE subject test? Generally, subject test scores are regarded as quite a bit more important than general GRE scores.

So I don't have enough information to decently evaluate your chances, but your research experience sounds strong, and your GPA shouldn't hold you back if your tests and recommendations are solid.

Good luck :)

You have a very good GPA. 3.5 is not average. Trust me. The general GRE is fine. You'll need to take the Biology subject test, too.

You should really apply all over the place. More than your scores, the proper research fit is the most important criteria for admission into a PhD program. Make sure the schools you apply to do work in the field you're interested in. No matter how great your scores, you won't get in if the research fit isn't there.

• 2 weeks later...
www.gradgame.com allows you to benchmark yourself against other applicants in terms of GRE and GPA. You can also see what past acceptance rates are.

I don't know how useful a database like that is for research-based graduate programs since GRE and GPA aren't the only characteristics that influence admission decisions. As we all know, research fit (from SoP) is also a critical factor in the admissions game.

This website might be more useful for medical school or law school or other professional schools, where your application is almost entirely weighted upon your scores.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input guys!!

I graduated last year, but I am still in contact with one of the professors who will write a good letter for me. My NIH mentor also agreed to write me one. As for my current job, its a non-profit foundation, but it works like industry and I am not sure if their LoR will be of much value, since it is not from the academia. I will be ask our group head if she would be willing to write me a good LoR. Do schools even consider industry letters as valuable?

I am taking my GRE's in July, and my subject test (probably in biology or biochemistry) in october(since thats the first of the late months in which they offer it). Should I start contacting potential faculty from various schools whose research area I might be interested in pursuing?

Thanks a lot!!