Online MA in English/Rhetoric and Composition Programs

Hello: 

I am applying to MA programs in English but I was interested to see if anyone knew of any programs that are fully online. I know there probably aren't a lot out there but I'm very interested in finding something. Ideally, I want to study rhetoric and composition and teach community college in the short term, but in the long run, I would love to get my PhD as well. I work full time as professional staff at a Writing Center, and I would like to be able to keep my job while I get my Master's. So if anyone knows anything about online or distance learning programs please let me know. 

Thank you. 

Since English departments have so many TA's teaching composition courses during the day (at least at medium-large institutions), grad classes are often in the evenings for scheduling reasons. Maybe see if that's a possibility where you're applying?

Honestly, I'm not sure a totally online degree program would be the way to go, if you're wanting to go into teaching and maybe eventually a PhD. The in-person relationships you develop with professors are what get you recommendations and things like that.

Between Fields is right that the in-person stuff is super important, professionally. But if you were able to get accepted into a PhD program later on, you could take care of a lot of the professional stuff then.

Something else you might consider looking into would be low-residency MFA programs in creative writing. Obviously that requires that you be interested in creative writing, but it could be a way to get an advanced degree while keeping your current job.

I think you're getting some good advice here; with your work experience, getting a teaching position after an online MA may not be a problem, but getting strong letters of rec for a PhD program may be more of a challenge. To answer your question, there was recently a thread about online MA programs in Writing Studies on the WPA listserv. Here are the programs that were listed:

The following programs offer MA or MS degrees in technical and professional communication:

• Arizona State
  • Chatham
  • East carolina
  • Metropolitan Sate
  • Minnestoa State Mankato
  • Missouri U. of Science and Tech
  • NJIT
  • New England College
  • Northeastern U
  • RPI
  • Southern Polytechnic
  • Texas Tech
  • UCF
  • U. Wisconsin Stout
  • Utah State
  • William Patterson
  • NYU
  • Valdosta State University

Also:

The University of Texas at El Paso has Graduate Certificate Program in Technical & Professional Writing

Indiana University East has Graduate Certificate in Composition Studies (and is working on a hybrid full MA program)

I know you're looking for a fully online program, but if your writing center can spare you for a couple of summers, IUP might be a good choice. The department has a long tradition of producing successful composition (especially writing center) scholars, and the program is online except for either two or three summer sessions. The program is also cool in that instead of comps, you'll keep a writing portfolio. Ben Rafoth is on faculty there, and Bill Macauley and Brian Fallon are products of the program.

http://www.iup.edu/english/

Best of luck!