Am I elegible for an MPP at WWS, HKS or so?

tato

I've read some threads regarding admissions, but I'm no sure if my profile and qualifications are enough or will do to enter a good MPP program such as WWS or HKS or any other. What do you think?

- I'm a peruvian lawyer from one of the most pretigious law school in Lima (Catholic University).

- I've been workin for almost 4 years at one ofe the biggest law firms in Peru.

- I'm also a Good Governance professor.

- However, I've been thinkin of a direction switch on my carreer sice I've always wanted to work on something that will help me contribute to my country's development. I'd want my carreer to be aimed at public service and look for a position on policy maker or decision maker. It could be a public organization, an NGO or an international organization, but the point is that I want to stop being a corporate lawyer because I don't think in the long run It'll help achiving my personal and professional goals.

- I don't have public service experience, but a couploe of years ago my dad and some friends created a development institute (sort of like an NGO) and I work with them. It wasn't a huge thing, but we sure did some stuff.

So I know this is ageneral question, but giving my backgorund, do you think it is a good choice for me? Should I just take the MPP or try the MPA? For the others internationals, is it that hard to get in? Is my lacking of public service experience would be a hard downside on my application?

Thanks all in advance for your help.

I've read some threads regarding admissions, but I'm no sure if my profile and qualifications are enough or will do to enter a good MPP program such as WWS or HKS or any other. What do you think?

- I'm a peruvian lawyer from one of the most pretigious law school in Lima (Catholic University).

- I've been workin for almost 4 years at one ofe the biggest law firms in Peru.

- I'm also a Good Governance professor.

- However, I've been thinkin of a direction switch on my carreer sice I've always wanted to work on something that will help me contribute to my country's development. I'd want my carreer to be aimed at public service and look for a position on policy maker or decision maker. It could be a public organization, an NGO or an international organization, but the point is that I want to stop being a corporate lawyer because I don't think in the long run It'll help achiving my personal and professional goals.

- I don't have public service experience, but a couploe of years ago my dad and some friends created a development institute (sort of like an NGO) and I work with them. It wasn't a huge thing, but we sure did some stuff.

So I know this is ageneral question, but giving my backgorund, do you think it is a good choice for me? Should I just take the MPP or try the MPA? For the others internationals, is it that hard to get in? Is my lacking of public service experience would be a hard downside on my application?

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Given your background, I say you would make a fair contender for either school. Be aware that WWS has a special 1 year MPP program specifically for lawyers, physicians, and PhD scientists. So you may want to apply to that. You will need to paint a very clear picture of your new interest in public service, as you lack of PS experience could hurt your application against others who already show a strong commitment. As for HKS, I don't see why you would not get in to their 2-year MPP program.

FSIA, thanks a lot for your input. I actually was thinking about that 1-year MPP at WWS, since it seems to be made for lawyers so I shoud be a better candidate. I agree with you that my lack of PS experience could be a downside, but perhaps i could turn it over and make it look like an advantage (the alwyer speakin here, haha).

Most people here talk about HKS or WWS or other american schools, but, al least here, LSE is a very repected school, so I think that could be a good choice for me. However, if I would like to work at some point at an american or international organization, you think LSE would be as recognized as HKS or WWS?