GRE Lit Subject Test Screw Up

I scored a 490 in the lit subject test. Am I screwed or am I screwed? Among all the schools that I am considering applying to Boston University is the only one that requires this test. Is it even worth applying to BU or should I just drop the idea??

There are posts on this board in which people state they got 10th and 18th percentile and still got in to top tier programs. Just looking at the practise test next to me it seems 490 is 29th %ile. If it was me, I'd still apply. It is only one component of your packet and the general impression I get is that a great score may enhance your application but a poor score won't necessarily hurt it. Good luck! :)

I agree with Poiple. In spite of my advice in the other similar thread, don't let a GRE score prevent you from applying, unless you have the ability or inclination to retake the test. Since only one of your schools requires it, I wouldn't worry about a retake.

Don't worry, I just took a practice test last week and got a 410 and I'm almost finished with my MA! I think a lot of schools understand how hard the test is and take that into consideration. 

My question for everyone on here would be about sending scores to universities where the subject test is optional. Most universities who say the test is optional say that they will consider the scores if sent, but it will not hurt the application. However, with a score in the 400s, would that be true? Anyone have any insight on this? I'm thinking about just saving my money and sending only to the universities that require it instead of sending it out with every application that I had previously planned.

My question for everyone on here would be about sending scores to universities where the subject test is optional. Most universities who say the test is optional say that they will consider the scores if sent, but it will not hurt the application. However, with a score in the 400s, would that be true? Anyone have any insight on this? I'm thinking about just saving my money and sending only to the universities that require it instead of sending it out with every application that I had previously planned.

Yeah--unless I get a score that is ridiculously phenomenal, I'm only sending it to places that absolutely require it--and even in that (impossible) scenario, I'd only additionally send it to programs who specifically say scores are "helpful," "will be considered," or some other such language, in addition to them not being required. Least important part of the application, time better spent on SOP/writing sample, extra money, etc etc etc.

Yeah, I asked that question awhile back and responses were pretty much the same as Unraed's. I figure that if I get 650 or better, I'll send it to the places that say it can help but won't hurt. Otherwise, I'll just send it to the six (gulp) that require it.

My last practice score was also pretty mediocre...so I suspect 650 might be pretty optimistic anyhow.

So, I wouldn't by any means consider my experience typical--especially if you're a lit student, but I scored in the 10th percentile on my first attempt at the subject test. The second? 4th percentile. I'm dead serious.

I was accepted to 5 of my top-choice schools, wait listed at 3, and rejected from 3. Even though my subfield is rhet/comp, a number of these schools still required the subject test.

You know what's funny is that with my score, I answered half of all the questions correct, left maybe 10 blank, and answered half incorrect. I guess I just don't understand how I can really improve my score. Even by not guessing my score would have only been a few points higher. Ugh. This is so frustrating.

Jhefflol: this is exactly why I'm not worrying about it. One can always broaden one's knowledge, but the bottom line is that you have no idea what will be on the test. The "Slumdog" principle is at work here: you might luck out and get a test is full of things that you know, or you might get one that deals with most of the stuff you just couldn't find time to study. There are some constants, of course, but beyond trying to broaden your knowledge as best you can, it's just not something that you should be overly concerned about. I'm seriously feeling zero stress about it, personally. Maybe that will change closer to the date, but cases like Chadillac's definitely ease my mind even more.