Help! Chances with a GRE score of 158V/156Q

surlefil

Hi, I really need advice. Today I took the GRE and got 158V/156Q. I'm really worried because I'm planning to apply to some top schools, like Columbia (Philosophy) and Chicago (Committee on Social Thought), and I'm afraid they won't even consider my application because of this score, especially because of the Verbal score. Do you think I should sit again for the test? I'm Latin American and, though I have good English, I'm not at all used to reading and understanding texts in little time. Skimming in a foreign language requires a lot of practice. I've become better in these last months, but it wasn't enough. I don't know I should take the test again because maybe I'd be better off working on my writing sample, and I wonder how important is this stupid test considering that other parts of my application are strong (very good letters of recommendation and writing sample, 11 conference presentations, 2 peer-reviewed publications and 12 non peer-reviewed publications).

Any advice would be extremely useful. Thanks in advance!!

Edited by surlefil

Will your score hurt you? I have no idea. I don't think anyone on these forums knows that. (I'd like to think none of us are on admissions committees.)

Things to consider: Do you think you can do any better? Can you afford a retake? Are there other parts of your application that you should be spending time on? It is, after all, September, and you should begin polishing your writing sample if you haven't started already.

I did a bit better the second time around, and I'm glad I retook the exam. At the end of the day, it's your judgement that matters, not mine.

First of all, that score isn't that low even for a native speaker. Admissions committees seem pretty sensitive to language issues, and given that English is not your first language I find it very hard to believe that this score could hurt you much (if at all). It will certainly not hurt you so much as to make your packet an automatic "pass." I think you're in good shape.

Hi, I really need advice. Today I took the GRE and got 158V/156Q. I'm really worried because I'm planning to apply to some top schools, like Columbia (Philosophy) and Chicago (Committee on Social Thought), and I'm afraid they won't even consider my application because of this score, especially because of the Verbal score. Do you think I should sit again for the test? I'm Latin American and, though I have good English, I'm not at all used to reading and understanding texts in little time. Skimming in a foreign language requires a lot of practice. I've become better in these last months, but it wasn't enough. I don't know I should take the test again because maybe I'd be better off working on my writing sample, and I wonder how important is this stupid test considering that other parts of my application are strong (very good letters of recommendation and writing sample, 11 conference presentations, 2 peer-reviewed publications and 12 non peer-reviewed publications).

Any advice would be extremely useful. Thanks in advance!!

I don't think that's bad.  If you feel that you can improve your score and have the funds then you should definitely consider taking it again.  But since you are an international applicant I don't think the verbal score will hurt you too much.  

my take on the gre as far as it not hurting your chances go is this

to guarantee a lack of punishment from almost anyone in admissions, aim for 700 in both, its very good but not spectacular

for a solid non helpful score, a 700/600 mix , in either of the 2 sections will probably immunize you completely.

to at least not curse yourself that your denied admissions was due to GRE scores alone, get a 600/600. while i do believe a few departments use cutoff. i think a true cutoff is to weed out very weak applicants, and not as a true demarcation to those that actually stood a chance to begin with,or so they would think, so i doubt a cutoff above a 1200 is applied.

Hi! First of all, thank you all for your inputs!

Will your score hurt you? I have no idea. I don't think anyone on these forums knows that. (I'd like to think none of us are on admissions committees.)

Things to consider: Do you think you can do any better? Can you afford a retake? Are there other parts of your application that you should be spending time on? It is, after all, September, and you should begin polishing your writing sample if you haven't started already.

I did a bit better the second time around, and I'm glad I retook the exam. At the end of the day, it's your judgement that matters, not mine.

Thanks for your questions. I could eventually afford the retake. I'm quite scared because I don't have a lot of time and I don't know how much I could improve my score.

First of all, that score isn't that low even for a native speaker. Admissions committees seem pretty sensitive to language issues, and given that English is not your first language I find it very hard to believe that this score could hurt you much (if at all). It will certainly not hurt you so much as to make your packet an automatic "pass." I think you're in good shape.

Thanks a lot. I'm glad this score isn't automatically perceived as terrible. I'll see if I have time to retake it and any chance of improving my score, but I'll devote more time to SOPs and WS given that this score might not be as pernicious to my application as I thought.

I feel like doing well on the GRE is a sort of perseverance test.

In that sense, it might actually be a good indicator of success in graduate school.

if this is all there is to it, they are MUCH  better ways to demonstrate this

Hi! First of all, thank you all for your inputs!

Thanks for your questions. I could eventually afford the retake. I'm quite scared because I don't have a lot of time and I don't know how much I could improve my score.

Thanks a lot. I'm glad this score isn't automatically perceived as terrible. I'll see if I have time to retake it and any chance of improving my score, but I'll devote more time to SOPs and WS given that this score might not be as pernicious to my application as I thought.

if you are willing to spend on a service, i STRONGLY  recommend magoosh. its 80 dollars but has enough questions and reviews and not only does it explain everything, but it will actually keep track and train you on your weaknesses.

if you are willing to spend on a service, i STRONGLY  recommend magoosh. its 80 dollars but has enough questions and reviews and not only does it explain everything, but it will actually keep track and train you on your weaknesses.

I'll second Magoosh. I'd also recommend using some ETS material.