Best School for an MA in IR, Focus on South Asia

sir_william

Hey all, 

I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I'm posting this question in the right spot!
Basically, I'm applying to international relations masters programs and am curious to know which have the best programs focusing on South Asia. 

So far, I've applied to Johns Hopkins, which has a South Asian specialization, as well as American (SIS), Columbia (SIPA), and U of Denver (Korbel). I know that not all of these have South Asian studies emphases, but I wanted to start with generally solid schools in IR. 

Aside from these, are there any that have a good reputation in this area? Maybe even internationally? In India?

thanks in advanced! 

• 3 weeks later...

UC San Diego has a renowned international program, and I know they have some "Pacific" emphases, which possibly includes the countries in South Asia you're considering.  For that matter, if memory serves me correctly, UCLA might, too.

UC Santa Barbara also has some impressive international programs, and faculty in several departments have South Asia specialties, so they might be worth checking out, too.  In general, UCSB seems to not get much fame despite its high ranking on several different majors' lists.  UCSB is also great if you're looking to do something interdisciplinary.  Based on a visit there last year (to a different department mind you), their faculty really value not only in theory but actual practice, interdisciplinary work.

You mentioned international - I know it's a bit "exciting" there right now, but Hong Kong has some really great schools, as does Singapore.  I want to say National University in Singapore is the name of it? I used to work in that region, and many well-off (professionally) folks came from Singapore's grad programs.  Bonus there is they speak English and Mandarin as national languages. Hong Kong is Cantonese and British English (you probably already know these things being interested in South Asia..sorry!)

Hope that helps some.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I'm also applying to some "IR-typish" programs.  To be honest, I'm not absolutely certain on which schools have the best South Asia emphasis.  I do know that there is no regional focus at UC San Diego for South Asia.  Their specializations are Japan, Korea, China, Southeast Asia, and Latin America.

I completed my undergrad degree at Berkeley and I can tell you that they have a very solid department of South Asian studies.  There are several avaialble language courses as well.  Perhaps an MA in Asian Studies would work?  You may be able to focus on IR course for South Asia in that program, but it's best to check the schedule of classes online first.

Good luck!