Gaining Credit for German

turktheman

Hey Everyone,

I am seeking some advice for acquiring academic credit for German. I've done a lot of searching here and generally on the web for programs that offer German grammar for credit. I am wanting to apply for PhD work NT/EC next year, so I am still a year out from the application process. 

Here are some of the options I've been able to come up with:

1. Take Spring/Summer/Fall semesters of German at the local community college 

2. Self-study German and take the CLEP test that equates to six credits of German

3. Self-study German and take my current university's proficiency exam next Fall and include that information in my CV/application

4. Do all of the above.

I'm finishing up my second masters and would like to have at least German under my belt before application time next year. What are your opinions of the above three options? Any additional avenues that I haven't considered yet? Cost is very much a factor, which is why I cannot take it at my current university and stay on track for graduating.

Thanks!

P.S. I understand that PhD programs will likely require me to take their own proficiency exam if I matriculate. 

Since German won't be one of your "primary" languages (meaning you're learning German to read secondary scholarship), I would think some combination of 1 and 2 or 3 would be good. Learning languages in any "official" capacity, either through coursework or taking official exams is going to demonstrate to an adcom that you've made significant progress in trying to learn the language.

I've been told by several different academics that they like to see coursework for languages rather than independent study. I think #1 is your best bet, and I would try to pass one of the language tests in addition. So, really, what marXian said :)

• 1 month later...

It really depends on what you need the German for.

If it's solely for admission, German for academic reading will be enough.

If you're looking specifically at the German school of thought/development and NT/EC scholarship and intend on relying strongly on German thinkers, then extra familiarity with German would be useful. That said, since you only have a year before applications, I'd stick to academic reading and familiarize yourself with German more intimately as you go and as needed.

I'm planning to do all three to make the claim of beginning/intermediate reading level more believable once I apply. I do really want to learn German since I recognize it will be useful for the entirety of my academic career. I hope to be prepared well enough after next semester and the following year of studying to pass the PhD language exam for German where I (If I . . .) get accepted.