Changing major for a Phd

gurumaster8899

It all depends on your intended area of research - a lot of research areas are interdisciplinary. Figure out your area(s) of interest, and how much ChemE they involve:

1/2 or more ChemE: Why not apply to ChemE?

1/4 or more ChemE: Solid case, because you show a foundation in a highly relevent area.

At least a little ChemE: Weaker case, but still okay provided everything else is good.

Zero ChemE: Hmmm... still possible but tough, and if accepted you will probably have some "remedial" work to do.

They want to see a strong, mature student with good academic preparation and research credentials. The issue with changing fields is that the value of your academic preparation diminishes, as they do not have as good a feel for your grasp or talent for the material.

I believe a chemcial engineering background could do you some good in civil/environmental degree especially in environmental (i.e. waste water treatment or some landfill design). A mechanical however, I'm not sure. I personally am a civil major going to get a masters in structural so I don't know too much about mechanical, but there doesn't seem to be much overlap on the outside.

Are you sure you want to change in the first place man? You are quite far in your educational career and I hear chemical can be a rewarding field, but good luck either way.