suggestions for programs

If you're more complit than English, then maybe you should consider applying to Duke Lit instead of Duke English-- it will give you more flexibility with your Franco-Euro influences. Plus they don't require as many foreign languages as other complit programs.

Have you also considered UPenn? They have some cool 19th c stuff going on there. And you definitely aren't interested in any of the Cali schools?

I have a friend at Cornell in English who is doing something similar to you-- influences of French literature on Decadent writers (the chair of the dept. Ellis Hanson, is an expert in this field). She actually got a lot of money from the school to spend a summer and now a year abroad in France doing research! so jealous. There's also a recent hire, Dagmawi Woubshet, who is a up-and coming rising superstar in Baldwin studies. If you're doing American, though, Shirley Samuels is another good person to look at. FYI, almost everyone who graduated this year in Afam/English got jobs (U Toronto, Stanford, UC Davis, Smith)--even in these tough times! Cornell has a stellar placement record.

I actually intended to apply to 10, but I ended up only applying to 8 because I ran out of steam and I KNEW that my last two schools were just not good fits for me. I would say no more than 10, if possible. I also didn't have any "safeties" on my list, which was probably a mistake looking back on things, but I told myself why apply to somewhere where I definitely would not want to go?

If you know what you're doing (and it sounds like you have a pretty good sense of things) don't apply to the M.A. It will be a waste of energy if what you really want is a Ph.D.

PM me if you have more questions. I had almost the exact same application list!

MA programs are less selective, so it wouldn't hurt to apply to one or two. Likewise, the top ten list in U.S. News and World Report is neither accurate nor field-specific. I would look for better advice about fit and worry less about "prestige." Just getting a PhD is prestigious; find the people you want to work with, not the school whose name looks best on a diploma.