Transfer Programs?

lostine

Has anyone transferred from one MFA program to another? I moved very far away because this school had the highest stipend to offer and because of how excited the faculty was and the respect I have for their work. I didn't visit. I didn't realize that it was a poor fit (location/highly academic/cohort/heavy teaching load) until arrival. The location is just wrong for me. I've been entertaining the idea of applying for Fall 2015. I just don't know how horrible of an idea it would be. I don't know how I could tell the faculty here. Hindsight is 20/20, unfortunately. I feel like a failure or a let-down. Other programs were closer and in areas that I know I love and I let them go. Is anyone else in this situation? Any words of wisdom?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a very similar situation, OP. I ended up coming to what I thought was my 'dream' school - great faculty, nice location, generous stipend. But it has become apparent in the past three months that the construct of the program itself paves the way for a miserable way of life. There is no way I can spend the next three years of my life here. I still very much want to get an MFA, but am wondering how to go about seeking a better route without coming off like a complete jackass. 

So, yeah, any insight as to how to best go about transferring schools would be great. 

• 3 months later...

I realize your post is several months old, but I am in a very similar situation, as well. Unfortunately, it's too late for me to transfer without wasting thousands of dollars. However, if you're still in this program and still feel the same way, please DO transfer to somewhere you would be happier and have a better academic fit. It's your life and your money. Don't worry what your profs./others will think. I know it's easier said than done...

I too also moved very far away--to a very violent city, as a matter of fact--and immediately felt it was not the right choice for me on pretty much every level. I also had other choices, great schools, closer to home that I could've gone to. I worried that if I took a leave of absence/transferred, that I would look like a failure in some way. I WISH I had just acted on my first impressions and got the hell out of here as a soon as I had these thoughts.

You're not a failure for realizing something's not for you. Just remember: (most) people are willing to screw others over in a heartbeat. It's good to be conscientious, but don't be so worried about others that you forget that being true to yourself/your dreams is the most important thing. You're too good to settle for less than you deserve. Best of luck to you!

Also, if you wrote a letter along with your SOP, if you do apply to other schools, explaining that your current program isn't the right fit (maybe stress something like it's not challenging enough for you/you don't feel inspired by others students), I don't think the other school would look upon this fact negatively. Actually, they might view your initiative as a strong character point. These things probably happen more often than you realize.

I would advise anyone in this situation to act on your gut before it's too late. Take it from someone who didn't... I am beyond devastated.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally! I'm in this situation too. I hated my program the minute I arrived. I put up with it for three months, and finished my first semester. THEre were several reasons for it: I wanted to apply for the NSF fellowship and those who are on leave cannot apply. Second reason, I wanted to have a transcript of at least one semester because I wanted to transfer to another school and show them that I completed one semester with good grades. I just felt like going on leave would be a bad decision in the very beginning. So, I finished the semester and am now leaving the program since I already got some interviews. I just can't stand being miserable another month. I'm hoping that going on leave will not have an impact on my NSF or transferring schools. If you know anything about that, I would appreciate to hear. Also, did you end up filling out applications for 2015?