Anthro PhD - Where to start?

pace

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply to a cultural anthro PhD program to start in fall 2010. I'm having a really tough time finding programs that fit my interests, though. I want to study legal anthropology (and get a JD degree as well) with a regional focus on the Middle East. An ideal program for me would have a strong Arabic language program and the flexibility to get a JD concurrently with the PhD. I'm also very interested in refugee/migration studies.

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I can't imagine scoring anything noteworthy on the math portion. My GPA is pretty good, I have good letters of recommendation, and lots of field research/undergrad awards/language experience. I'm also about to do a Fulbright in the Mid East.

Can anyone recommend:

1) programs to look into

2) what I can do in the next 1.5 years to ensure admissions to a top school

Thanks!!

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply to a cultural anthro PhD program to start in fall 2010. I'm having a really tough time finding programs that fit my interests, though. I want to study legal anthropology (and get a JD degree as well) with a regional focus on the Middle East. An ideal program for me would have a strong Arabic language program and the flexibility to get a JD concurrently with the PhD. I'm also very interested in refugee/migration studies.

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I can't imagine scoring anything noteworthy on the math portion. My GPA is pretty good, I have good letters of recommendation, and lots of field research/undergrad awards/language experience. I'm also about to do a Fulbright in the Mid East.

Can anyone recommend:

1) programs to look into

2) what I can do in the next 1.5 years to ensure admissions to a top school

Thanks!!

Check out Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, and UC-Irvine.