What a Bio major can do?

CG145

Hi guys,

I am in the middle of an application period (waiting for Grad school decisions).

I want to know if a Biology graduate can work in the public health field? If you know any suggestions please let me know.

thank you.

Yes. You don't have to do a mph to do public health work. It can be to your advantage both in terms of skillsets and hireability to come into epidemiology after having a doctorate in the biological sciences, eg microbiology or bioinformatics. Unless you are getting your mph from one of a handful of very highly regarded schools in the field (eg Harvard, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medecine) you may very well have better employment opportunities entering the workforce with a science doctoral degree and then a focused public health or epidemiology postdoc, and more flexibility to do the public health work you want, where you want. Plus, science degree programs pay you a stipend, whereas you have to pay for an mph. Check out the CVs of some public health profs to see what I mean.

Edited by Usmivka