Letter writer keeps asking for names?!

jujubea

One of my letter writers asked me for the names of the individuals to whom his letters should be addressed, and asked that I send that info to him at the same time I give him all the other info to write the letter.

When I asked the programs, none of them said to address it to any individuals by name, they all said to address them to some variation of "Graduate Admissions Committee."

When I sent my letter writer the information, including the proper variations for how to address the letter, he wrote back with some follow up questions, one of which was, "be sure to include the names of the individuals, faculty, etc, to whom the letters need to be addressed.."

What the heck? Which way should I be persistent? Do I press the schools for more specific info, or do I insist to my letter writer that he addresses it as above? 

Is it inappropriate to be addressing it to a Committee as a whole? Does it look bad or something? Maybe he is just polite and traditional?

What is the deal?

I agree with bsharpe, my LOR writers appreciated knowing the names of professors I wanted to work with at each school (both so that they can write their letters targeted at these people as well as to give me their thoughts on those professors). But the best way to make sure you know what your prof means is to talk to them in person. 

If you are not able to come visit the prof, I would say something like "The instructions ask that the letters be addressed to `Admissions Committee' and I am interested in working with Profs X, Y, and Z at the school". That way you cover both! Also, even if your prof addresses the letter to "Profs X, Y and Z" instead of "Admissions Committee", it's not going to reflect poorly on you either, so I wouldn't worry about it too much and just give the names to your prof!

Hmmm, ok, thanks guys. 

I told him in the info packet which professors I was hoping to work with - or at least some of them, so I'm not sure that's it. And I can't do in-person unfortunately, we're a few states away from one another.

But your suggestions sound good, so I think I'll give it a try - tell him what the instructions are, and be more clear about the profs I hope to work with - and see how it goes.