Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Since this thread is just starting lets move our application stats to our signatures so everyone doesn't have to go back and search for someone's stats when decisions start rolling around

I put them in my profile for the same reason, trying to get an idea of previous years' decisions was less than painless.

I put them in my profile for the same reason, trying to get an idea of previous years' decisions was less than painless.

Yea I noticed after I posted that your sig said "stats in my profile". I would be nice if everyone who posted in this thread displayed their stats in either their sig or profile. Its close to useless for everyone to post their stats as a comment.

Stats are in profile but I'll also post here...

R1 University

USNWR Top 25 National University

Degree: B.Sc. Chemistry w/ ACS certification

GPA: 3.87 (overall), 3.89 (major)

Research: 6 semesters, 3 summers in same organometallic research group.

Publications: None.  Currently writing a 1st author paper. Hope to have submitted to JACS and Organometallics by January 2015.

Presentations: 247th National ACS Meeting (poster), undergraduate conference in Philadelphia, PA (powerpoint), featured speaker in a symposium held by my school, presentation in Irvine, CA (poster).

Awards: Very selective national scholarship (~$20,000), research award from my school ($3000), dean scholarship, member of honors program.

EC's: TA for 3 different courses (intro chem, organic 1, organic 2), member of selective research club, chemistry department representative for student council, tutor for student athletes.

GRE: 157V (74%), 165Q (90%), 4.5AW (80%), Chem. TBD

Hopefully this isn't an overly ambitious list, but we'll see....my advisor seems a lot more confident about these schools than I am.

Edited by Organometallics

I've also put my stats in my profile, but I do kind of like putting the stats in the thread as well, so here are mine:

Undergrad Institution: Top Liberal Arts School
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): NA
GPA in Major: 3.94
Overall GPA: 3.83
Position in Class: Between top 10-25%
Type of Student: Domestic male, low-income/queer (if either of those matter)

Research Interest: Physical Chemistry

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170
V: 167
W: 4.5
Chemistry: Haven't gotten it back yet. Probably high 600s or low 700s.

Research Experience: 5 semesters and 3 summers in a physical chemsitry lab at my school

Publications: 1 publication in my subsubfield's journal.

Presentations: 2 talks at the subsubfield's international conference, name on 1 other talk there, 2 ACS National posters, honorable mention at a competitive undergrad conference, 5 posters at school conference (...Might leave some of the school posters out)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Latin honors, 3 department awards and a post-bac summer fellowship from the school.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA-ed for 1 semester, graded homework for another. Did some non-chemistry teaching/mentoring as well.

Special Bonus Points: My undergrad advisors are well-connected and I was able to meet many of the professors I'm interested in at a conference where I gave a talk this summer.

Applying to Where:
Caltech - UPenn - UC Irvine - CU Boulder - UWisconsin - UMinnesota - UVirginia

...Now, I should get back to working on those SOPs...

The Caltech app is finally open.

Type of Student: Domestic male, low-income/queer (if either of those matter)

I'm not sure if queer helps anything unless you're part of a minority program for it, but low-income definitely does, at least as far as fee waivers go (you'll prove most via EFC on your student aid report).
UW-Madison has a handful of programs, but this is the one I used: http://grad.wisc.edu/admissions/feegrants

I'm not sure if queer helps anything unless you're part of a minority program for it, but low-income definitely does, at least as far as fee waivers go (you'll prove most via EFC on your student aid report).

UW-Madison has a handful of programs, but this is the one I used: http://grad.wisc.edu/admissions/feegrants

I was thinking more about if those things in relation to the application review process, but you're absolutely right about the fee waivers. UW seems to have a straightforward system for them, which is nice. Some others are pretty vague about how/if someone qualifies for one (Caltech, for instance, particularly since I've already graduated).

I have a question about calculating major GPA.

So if you had to retake the course and have two grades for one class, should I include both in calculating major GPA?

I know some schools have a policy that would remove the course with lower gpa from your record and replace it with the better one, but the school I attend actually keeps both on the transcript. Also, are there any courses I should include in calculating major GPA that is not a chemistry course? (i.e. Physics, Calc 3, Diff eq.)

September cGRE scores should be available online today (ouch).

I got invited to a preview weekend at (one of) my top choices by my highest listed POI!!!

She emailed me 4 days after I took my regular GRE; do any veterans have any input on what this could mean with regard to admissions? Could it outweigh an extremely low cGRE and sub-par GRE scores (note that this school doesn't seem to care too much about cGRE, it's likely just for fellowships)?

but the school I attend actually keeps both on the transcript. Also, are there any courses I should include in calculating major GPA that is not a chemistry course? (i.e. Physics, Calc 3, Diff eq.)

I'd just report what your school does, if they see a lower score on your transcripts that could be grounds for rescinding your admission.

I only used my chemistry classes for my cGPA and put math and physics GPAs separately in my résumé/CV, but I'm minoring in those; if it's listed as a requirement for your chem degree you could probably use it.

You could also ask the departments what they'd prefer, I was able to report a significantly higher upper-division GPA for some programs since I took dual enrollment and it skewed my coursework. However, if your school calculates a major GPA for you use that, no matter how much better your self-calculations look; some apps ask for a major GPA ONLY if it's been calculated by your school.

Congrats ChemiKyle! That's awesome. 

Did you have your entire application already submitted to this school (all LORs, regular GRE scores) before they contacted you?

With the release of chem GREs today I submitted all of my scores, but one of my recommenders has still not submitted his LOR so my application might be still viewed as 'incomplete'....idk.  I just am so anxious...cannot wait to hear back from SOMEONE....

Congrats ChemiKyle! That's awesome. 

Did you have your entire application already submitted to this school (all LORs, regular GRE scores) before they contacted you?

With the release of chem GREs today I submitted all of my scores, but one of my recommenders has still not submitted his LOR so my application might be still viewed as 'incomplete'....idk.  I just am so anxious...cannot wait to hear back from SOMEONE....

Thanks! I'm nervous/excited! It seems like a recruitment but it's a top 5 school so for all I know it's an interview.

Yeah I had my app and all my LoR in about a month before being contacted. My app still shows up as "incomplete" on their website though.

The earliest I've heard of actual decisions is late November/mid-December; early admissions obviously don't apply, but the only person I know who has those is a McNair scholar with 4 publications and I think the early app was through McNair. You have pretty good stats so as long as your letters are shiny you'll probably hear back from a few early.

Also, do you know/anyone else know what constitutes a 'good' chemistry GRE score for domestic applicants applying to top 10 programs?

It seems like the consensus is that 50% is good and 70%+ is extraordinary, although most schools don't actually care about it at all (even if it's required), it's mostly just for fellowships.

Edited by ChemiKyle

Hi~ I'm going to apply for PhD program in bio-organic/chemical biology to several US universities.
GRE Chem score is out today and I am very disappointed by my mediocre score of only 810 (79%)~ considering I'm international applicant I am a little bit nervous that this score won't suffice. (I was aiming at 850+)

Stat-wise:

Undergrad Institution: A Top National Univ in Taiwan (international student)
Major(s): Chemistry
GPA undergraduate: 78.53/100 (WES conversion: 3.32/4.00)

Grad (MS) Institution: A Top National Univ in Taiwan (international student)
Major(s): Chemistry - Chemical Biology
GPA graduate: 3.93/4.30

Research Interest: Bio-organic chemistry and Chemical Biology

GRE Scores: V: 160 (84%) Q: 163 (86%)  W: 4.0 (54%)
Chemistry: 810 (79%)
Research Experience: 1 semester in organic lab (undergrad); 2 years in bioorganic lab (master)

Publications: 1 publication in Journal of Medicinal Chemistry

Presentations: 1 poster presentation in Department of Chemistry
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Outstanding Overseas Chinese Scholarship - Ministry of Education (Taiwan)
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Junior TA in organic lab (1 semester); Junior TA in analytical lab (1 semester); Working at non-chemistry related field (Marketing and Sales) for 2 years.
Applying to Where: Yale; UNC-Chapel Hill; UC Berkeley; UPenn; USC; Northwestern; Chicago; NYU; UCSD; Texas A&M; Houston; UCSC; Arizona; GATech; OSU

Edited by Maxtini

I'm a bit envious of everyone who's done with their applications. Between job applications, moving and then working full time, I'm definitely not where I'd like to be - still working on my SOPs. Which is the last thing I have to do, but it's a big one...

September cGRE scores should be available online today (ouch).

I see we got the same score, so I know that feeling...

I got invited to a preview weekend at (one of) my top choices by my highest listed POI!!!
She emailed me 4 days after I took my regular GRE; do any veterans have any input on what this could mean with regard to admissions? Could it outweigh an extremely low cGRE and sub-par GRE scores (note that this school doesn't seem to care too much about cGRE, it's likely just for fellowships)?

Congrats! While I'm clearly not a vet, my general impression is that having a professor wanting you is one of the best things for an application.

Also, do you know/anyone else know what constitutes a 'good' chemistry GRE score for domestic applicants applying to top 10 programs?

I've also heard that 50% is good, though it seems to vary by field - UC Irvine told me that organic applicants should shoot for 70%. And people certainly get in with lower scores (good news for me) - UPenn mentioned that the lowest score of their incoming class was a 610.

Hi~ I'm going to apply for PhD program in bio-organic/chemical biology to several US universities.

GRE Chem score is out today and I am very disappointed by my mediocre score of only 810 (79%)~ considering I'm international applicant I am a little bit nervous that this score won't suffice. (I was aiming at 850+)

Stat-wise:

Undergrad Institution: A Top National Univ in Taiwan (international student)

Major(s): Chemistry

GPA undergraduate: 78.53/100 (WES conversion: 3.32/4.00)

Grad (MS) Institution: A Top National Univ in Taiwan (international student)

Major(s): Chemistry - Chemical Biology

GPA graduate: 3.93/4.30

Research Interest: Bio-organic chemistry and Chemical Biology

GRE Scores: V: 160 (84%) Q: 163 (86%)  W: 4.0 (54%)

Chemistry: 810 (79%)

Research Experience: 1 semester in organic lab (undergrad); 2 years in bioorganic lab (master)

Publications: 1 publication in Journal of Medicinal Chemistry

Presentations: 1 poster presentation in Department of Chemistry

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Outstanding Overseas Chinese Scholarship - Ministry of Education (Taiwan)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Junior TA in organic lab (1 semester); Junior TA in analytical lab (1 semester); Working at non-chemistry related field (Marketing and Sales) for 2 years.

Applying to Where: Yale; UNC-Chapel Hill; UC Berkeley; UPenn; USC; Northwestern; Chicago; NYU; UCSD; Texas A&M; Houston; UCSC; Arizona; GATech; OSU

Welcome! Please post your stats in your profile or signature to make this thread more convenient for everyone. thanks

Hi Everyone,

Been a lurker here for a while and decided it was probably the right time to make an account. I can't believe app season is here already! Stats are in my signature.

Where all are you applying?

Did you make sure your programs want the cGRE and not the biochem version? Either way the pub probably offsets the 10%, but I know you guys get viewed in a radically different light than domestics.

I've also heard that 50% is good, though it seems to vary by field - UC Irvine told me that organic applicants should shoot for 70%. And people certainly get in with lower scores (good news for me) - UPenn mentioned that the lowest score of their incoming class was a 610.

I think the rest of your profile more than outshines the cGRE, but I'm biased towards having a low opinion of anything ETS-related. I think it depends on the institution culture and the adcom members themselves.

Did you make sure your programs want the cGRE and not the biochem version? Either way the pub probably offsets the 10%, but I know you guys get viewed in a radically different light than domestics.

Some universitites specifically mention to submit GRE chemistry, although they accept other subject.
Others do not specifically mention which subject though~
(Btw, I applied to Department of Chemistry not Department of Biological sciences)

Since my background is chemistry, especially organic synthesis, I think I will have more chance to score higher on cGRE.

I don't mind taking biochemistry GRE, but the GRE also test molecular and cell biology as a whole. I am not familiar with these two and I don't have the confident to take the test.

Furthermore, I already got A+ in my biochemistry and A- in advanced graduate (master) courses in chemical biology, so I don't see the need to take the test to demonstrate my competency in this area.
Edited by Maxtini

I think the rest of your profile more than outshines the cGRE, but I'm biased towards having a low opinion of anything ETS-related. I think it depends on the institution culture and the adcom members themselves.

I certainly like to think so, but it's easy to get paranoid about any weaknesses in one's application. Though I do agree with your theory that the cGRE doesn't seem to matter much - I talked with the UPenn graduate coordinator and she thought that the 660 was totally fine to submit and a potential POI at another school (which is close enough that I was able to visit his lab today) seemed not to care about it at all when I asked.

Where all are you applying?

As of now, I have Northwestern, U. Wisconsin, Ohio State, MIT and Harvard. There are a few others that I'm debating between to apply to, like Princeton, Michigan, Columbia and UI-UC. Looks like we have a bunch in common!

Do you guys have any ideas about where I should apply? I have a high GPA and GRE score, but I won't have taken the chemistry GRE :( 

I have 2.5 years of lab experience and my PI will write me a really good letter of rec but I only have like 2 poster presentations and by the time I submit my first author paper (which may not even be accepted) application deadlines will have passed. I have a ton of teaching and tutoring experience as well. I'm not sure what I could improve at this point.

I feel like I don't have much of a chance at top tier schools, especially without the subject test.

Do you guys have any ideas about where I should apply? I have a high GPA and GRE score, but I won't have taken the chemistry GRE :(

I have 2.5 years of lab experience and my PI will write me a really good letter of rec but I only have like 2 poster presentations and by the time I submit my first author paper (which may not even be accepted) application deadlines will have passed. I have a ton of teaching and tutoring experience as well. I'm not sure what I could improve at this point.

I feel like I don't have much of a chance at top tier schools, especially without the subject test.

I feel like it's really hard to suggest schools without any more details - especially about what kind of research you're interested in. Do you know specifically what you want to study? If you do, try to find interesting papers on the topic - that'll lead you to some researchers. See who they cite, who cites them, what conferences they attend, etc, and you should be able to find some schools. If your interests relate to your current research, maybe your PI can recommend some places as well. We can make suggestions too, but I feel like that would probably be much more specific and helpful.

Oh, and as for the chemistry GRE: many schools out there don't require it. Most will say they encourage it, but many will review your application without it. If you're worried, I suggest calling a school you're interested in and asking their graduate coordinator how much of an issue it'll be.

Thank you! I'm interested in materials. My PI recommended some professors he knows, but they're all at top tier schools and I'm worried I wouldn't get in to any of them.

Would you recommend using US News and Report rankings to find schools?