neuroscience phd in psychology department vs. biomedical sciences department

FastBallooningHead

Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of filling out applications for PhD programs in the neurosciences. I'm curious what you guys and girls think the differences are between applying to neuroscience programs that are part of a biomedical sciences department/medical school vs. applying to neuroscience programs that are part of the psychology department (most of these programs are called behavioral neuroscience or some variation of it). The core courses don't seem to be all that different and the researchers from both programs tend to work with each other (which seems to hint that you'll be able to make a professor from either your advisor), so I'm confused as to what the real difference between the two are. What do you think?

This is an important question for me because I have a BA in psychology and have no classroom experience in the relevant biological and physical sciences (bio, chem, phsyics, etc), which most of the neuroscience programs in the biomedical sciences departments recommend that you have..... so I imagine I'll have a much better shot at the neuroscience programs in the psychology departments.

Thanks! 

Edited by FastBallooningHead

• 3 weeks later...

Generally I've understood that biomedical programs will have greater access to funds/resources than individual departments elsewhere. For example medical schools tend to have bigger biomedical programs than pharmacy or veterinary schools.

Another thought is that the biomedical department may have a greater emphasis on molecular biology of neuroscience, while the psychology may integrate more behavioral aspects to their research. Honestly it should be weighed on what you see as the benefit of either department. I know at many schools you can research with any similar interest professor regardless of department once you're admitted through a program.