Spanish PhD 2015

BeatrizBear

Well I just spent 4 weeks watching netflix... Hahahah. I got quite hooked on the show Merlin, but unfortubatley they're taking away BBC shows. Have you seen The Butler? I enjoyed that quite a bit.

I applied to linguistics at Texas as well, but no interview notice as of yet. Que será, será

Edited by FingersCrossed12

PhD at Texas because they don't have a Master's program. I applied for a masters everywhere else though :) I never got that into Sherlock. Merlin and New Girl got me through my winter break! I also learned to crochet to kill time. I work at my university so these four weeks were brutal because I have been so anxious about grad school results. I'm so happy they're starting to come out now.

I'm in the process of getting a new job, so that's been keeping me busy. I worked at a school with primary children before but I couldn't take it anymore. It wasn't particularly hard, but I just think I'm not suited for children.

I knew the school didn't have an MA, but I noticed before that in the results page people put "MA." Maybe they decided to do a MA/PhD combo? Also, the school is just UT. It's what all the locals call it.

Edited by BeatrizBear

Hi everybody! 

I've been following this forum recently, and I'm pleased by the amount of encouragement and support I've found in just this short time! 

I've decided to finally come out of hiding and introduce myself. I graduated with my BA in Spanish and Comparative Literature last June, and have applied for my Ph.D. in Spanish this cycle. I am interested in contemporary Latin American literature and globalization. I recently received an in-person interview at Princeton (they're covering the travel expenses!) and today, an official acceptance from Brown's Hispanic Studies Ph.D. Program. I couldn't be happier! 

Best wishes to all, and I hope to hear of more acceptances from everyone real soon! Un abrazo :)

Edited by tardesdeinvierno

How exciting!  Glad you joined the forum, Tardes.  It will be exciting to see where we all end up.  I hope you share with us a little about the interview experience.  Suerte a ti y a todos.

Did you guys put down specific professors that you wanted to work with in your statement of purpose? I think that's more common in the sciences or social sciences, but I was just wondering if any of you guys were that specific.

I think it is important to put some specific professors, if nothing else than to show that you researched their  program.  Of course, you want to make sure that the ones you name are not off on sabbatical or teaching at another university.  But then again, what do I know...

I've gotten mixed responses from friends and such. When they applied (not in the same field) they didn't write anyone down. I didn't put down anyone specifically, but I do have some people in mind. I made sure that I had at least two people in the department that I felt comfortable working with.

Enhorabuena SDB!!

Ayer tenía una entrevista por skype con WashU in St. Louis. Era muy informal; hablé del trabajo que he hecho en mi senior thesis, y también hablábamos en general sobre el programa de WUSTL. Fue muy bien :)

El domingo voy a los EEUU para mis visitas con Brown y Princeton.  Os contaré cómo van  :)

On 1/29/2015 at 7:30 AM, tardesdeinvierno said:

Enhorabuena SDB!!

Ayer tenía una entrevista por skype con WashU in St. Louis. Era muy informal; hablé del trabajo que he hecho en mi senior thesis, y también hablábamos en general sobre el programa de Wash U. Fue muy bien :)

El domingo voy a los EEUU para mis visitas con Brown y Princeton.  Os contaré cómo van  :)

Tienes más noticias sobre WashU?

It's finally February... May the odds be ever in our favor.

Did my first interview early last week, I think it went well? I guess all that is left it do is keep playing the waiting game for a few more weeks!

Have you heard anything more from UT Austin? Just judging from the results board, I think they might only interview the linguistics people, but I can't be sure.