Spanish PhD 2015

BeatrizBear

Irealize I should give more useful information in case others are interested.  I had some good communications with someone on the staff previously.  I think she may have helped me get the informal interview.  They suggested I apply for a Fellowship, something that I could not have known from the University's web pages.  I did not bring up the topic, but the director of the program can recommend certain candidates for a Fellowship.  I generally thought that applicants were automatically considered for these, but I think the phone call helped.

I really appreciate what I perceive as a supportive tone on this forum.  We are all in the same proverbial boat.  A little more about my unusual situation....   

Soy abogado y hablo espanol con mis clientes, pero no tengo formación académica en español.  Por lo tanto, mi francés podría ser un mecanismo, a través de la literatura comparativa, para acceder a perfeccionar mi español al nivel más avanzando.   Quisiera trabajar en los dos idiomas.

Nuclear, to update on what you said earlier: You actually have a quite good spanish from what Im reading in your sentences. The lower grade on your test might be then due to the fact that you only speak it in practical situations (and that you learned it).

BTW, I'm online in the chat right now. Had a small chat with nuclear! Join us, or lets plan a day when we all can do it!

Why I'm being paranoic: post 19).

Edited by joanlba

Well, I don't ever post anything with my real name online because my parents gave me a super uncommon name. You google me and I'm the first thing on the page. I'm like the only person with this name on Facebook. Well, it's not an uncommon name but an uncommon spelling that my parents made up.

Yup. If they ask I'll do it. But, I still believe it means I have passed a first round review. You don't call all your applicants to discuss their applications, just those that you might have interest in.

Well, as said before, I'm going to go for a week away in the next couple of days, so I'll have some rest about this whole thing. Without knowing it, I booked a trip to the only country in the Americas where Internet is not a given thing in an hotel (or elsewhere, for that matter). I won't be around the forum, but will report after that!

Edited by joanlba

Ah, it looks like UT is sending out notices about interviews. Someone posted on the results page that they got an interview. I wonder if they always interview because I've seen some really early acceptances from then on the results page.

Anyone got any movie recs? It dawned on me that my vocabulary is bigger in English because there are some topics that just never come up when I talk to someone in Spanish since generally I'm only speaking to my parents in Spanish when I'm out of class. So anyone got some movie recs? Besides Pan's Labyrinth since I've seen it so many times because it's awesome.

En general no hay muchos resultados para nuesto departamento aquí. Noté que los que tuvieron una entrevista fueron de lingüística. Tal vez solo le hacen entrevista a los que van a hacer lingüística? Hay muy pocos resultados para decir algo definitivamente.

Es verdad que aparecen muy pocos. En la página del departamento dicen que hacen entrevista a los candidatos, pero quién sabe... Quizás a algunos los cojan directamente. Ya veremos :)

Es verdad que aparecen muy pocos. En la página del departamento dicen que hacen entrevista a los candidatos, pero quién sabe... Quizás a algunos los cojan directamente. Ya veremos :)

Una cosa que noté es que unos dijeron que no los avisaron cuando habían hecho una decisión y supieron porque se metieron a la página de UT. Y los de literatura no dicen si tuvieron una entrevista y a unos los aceptaron muy temprano. Pero todos los de lingüística tuvieron entrevista si los aceptaron.

Mejor que no los cojan... jeje.

Omg.

Hi all,

I don't have any news, but I will be happy to share as soon as I do.  I am so psyched to do Spanish and French,  I applied to a number of Comp Lit Ph.D. programs and two Spanish MA programs as sort of a contingency.  I don't know how an Admissions Committee will view my unusual background. 

It is really fun to check this forum because I hope to hear good news from you all or help each other through the intensity of waiting.

I am interested in the "untranslatable", which can come about about through word play . . . like this.   [i am a lawyer so I lie for a living, but at least I am honest about it ;)

How about this one from Frozen:  "We're gonna fix you up with a fixer-upper."  

Or this one: "la dupla creativa de Lennon-McCartney."  I cannot translate this in my native language?  I guess I'll go with "songwriting duo."