Math requirement for Masters in England

anxious2011

Hey guys,

I have been seriously considering the idea of graduate school, and am particularly interested in Masters programs in England, with Oxford and LSE looking most attractive to me.

I just graduated from college (Penn) with a BSc Economics concentrating in Finance and Statistics. Although it is a BSc economics, it is a degree from the business school, so my background in Math is basically a year of calculus, some very very basic linear algebra as used in a STAT course on stochastic processes, and quite a lot of work with probability distributions and probability based models.

I know that PhD economics programs in the US require a more advanced math background, with courses in linear algebra and Real Analysis. The MSc Economics in England portray themselves as being equivalent to the first two years of course-work of a US PhD program, however they seem less math intensive? Is this true?

I am looking for a place where I can complete a masters (with the possibility of going onto a PhD) which also give me a chance to develop my Math skills during the two years or so of study. I was wondering if someone knew what was the level of math that Oxford and LSE assume knowledge of in their applicants and new entrants to the MSc/MPhil programs? Will I be completely lost if I apply (and perhaps get in) ?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated! :)

Cheers,

Sanket