U. Michigan: Alternate/Wait List

bestarred

Hello, lovely MSWs-to-be!

I am posting for the first time out of a need for moral support, really. I have an interesting MSW application history. I was all set to go to Loyola University Chicago because the program seemed to be a good fit for me, and I'm from the Chicago suburbs. In fact, I was so sure that I wanted to go there that it was the only place to which I (initially) applied. I was excited to be accepted with a $10,000/year scholarship and an assistantship position. However, due to a very bad experience with the field work coordinator involving insults related to my physical disability, sloppy administrative interactions, and a general sense of "I-don't-think-this-is-right-for-me," I started to get cold feet. By this time, however, it was mid-April. Most MSW programs had closed their admissions process, but the University of Michigan was accepting applications until June 1st. I got my materials and recommendations together as soon as I could, and managed to submit everything by May 6th.

I found out on May 28th that I had been offered a place on the Alternate/Wait List. I accepted the offer, but I was still disappointed. Due to personal issues, I am pretty sure that I cannot bring myself to attend Loyola. However, I may not get into Michigan. Even if I do, I could be notified in June, July, August, or even early September.

I have a 3.9 GPA, Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi membership, and a dual bachelor's degree in Sociology and Women's Studies from a fairly prestigious, small liberal arts college, lots of service experience, leadership experience, and experience as a research assistant. The more I learn about Michigan, the more I feel as though I would absolutely love it there...Plus, if I don't get in, I will have to backtrack into something like community college in order to keep my student status.

I am dreading the prospect of waiting three more months for an answer. I contacted the department to find out about the wait list procedure, and was told that it was to be ranked according to admissions criteria and that the ranking would be available around June 15th. So, at least then I will have more answers. But the waiting after that, eh...

I guess I am just looking for any insight/advice/experience/sympathy, haha. Anyone been in/heard of anyone in a similar position? Is there anything that I can do to increase my chances of admission? I already sent in a letter expressing my enthusiasm for the program and updating the admissions committee on my summer plans, but other than that, I'm stuck.

It would be great if you could just send positive thoughts my way. Thank you so much, and best of luck with all of your plans!

Holly