interested in religious studies

zena2014

I'm working on my application for graduate schools in religious studies. However I'm coming from doing my undergraduate in mathematics and a minor. I don't have much course work in religious studies. I also have no language background. I'm wondering what my chances of getting into a program will be? Will the fact I have a math degree work against me?

I'm working on my application for graduate schools in religious studies. However I'm coming from doing my undergraduate in mathematics and a minor. I don't have much course work in religious studies. I also have no language background. I'm wondering what my chances of getting into a program will be? Will the fact I have a math degree work against me?

In our field, there tends to be a natural gravitation from all walks of life. Mine was from pursuits in psychology and journalism, for instance. At no point do I think that cost me; therefore, I do not think that you have to worry about your math degree at all. That lack of language studies is to be expected for someone pursuing a master's. That said, you should pick up some grammar texts for the languages you want to study in and spend some time plunging in if you are able, that way you will be able to say on your statement of purpose that you have begun independent studies in Greek, Latin, German, or whatever. That will benefit you in the long run, because you will inevitably have classes or competencies to deal with down the road.

The most important matters to consider for programs of interest is your fit. Find the right one, and then make the case for your fit in your statement of purpose, that is, what you intend to study and why you want to study it. Strength of letter writers is important too. Find professors who can recommend you strongly, even if it is not in the field of religion-theology. Finally, make sure your GRE scores are competitive. Have you taken the test yet? You will probably do well in math. Of most interest to religion-theology programs is going to be verbal and writing. I have heard about GRE scores that they cannot get you in somewhere, but they can keep you out.

Finally, consider how wide a net you want to cast. Is it important to you to begin your studies next year? If so, you may want to cast a wide net, as master's programs are becoming increasingly competitive. It's a lot of work to manage multiple applications, but it will be most rewarding if you find yourself in the classroom next year.

Anyhow, just some thoughts in response to your questions. I hope you find it helpful, and I wish you all the best in your applications.

What level of degree are you pursuing, and in what specialty?