Space Engineering student wants to apply to PhD in Physics

determinist

I'm 3rd year international student at Space Engineering Department and I want to apply for Phd in Physics in USA at the end of this year.I took extra two physics-related courses what were offered from my department like Analytical Dynamics and Modern Physics.I want to say I have a weak physics background, but I want to compensate it with an extraordinary GRE-Physics (and of course in General GRE) result and with an effective references.

Exta information: GPA-3.66 (I'm the top student at Space Engineering Department)

I want to apply to MIT,Berkeley,CALTECH,Harvard from top 10 and to University of Chicago,Columbia and Sothern California from second level universities.

I'm ineterested in Quantum Field Theory.

Any advice?

Apply to a broader range of programs.

Considering the University of Chicago, Columbia, and University of Southern California as secondary schools is a bit overconfident, no matter how great your grades are. Also, when you apply to those top programs you'll be competing with people who do have the full physics background and possibly others who were double majors in related areas such as math or astronomy. Again, my advice: apply to a broader range of programs.

See the two stickied profile threads at the top of the PhysicsGRE forum for what it takes to get into the schools you mentioned. Admission to top physics PhD programs is extremely competitive, particularly for international students. Expect difficulties if you don't score above 950 on your PGRE, and do yourself a favor and apply to some safety schools (as in, ranked 50 or below). Take more physics courses if you can, and get some research experience.

Good luck :)

Thanks for your advice.

I've read all 08-09 applicants' profiles,but I can't find any applicant in the similar situation that I'm.There were applicants at least having minor in physics.By the views of profs (graduated from MIT,Berkeley ets..) at Physics Dep. in my university, the man, who will evaluate my application, will expect to read about achievements at Space Eng. Dep..They think it should be the only criteria to obtain information about accomplishments of applicant graduated from another department.

I'm taking the graduation project from Physics department (about the Quantum Field Theory) . I think it will be a great help in my application.