Publishing Papers

Agreed. It's a waste of time if you think it'll directly aid you in career development. It's a nice exercise, but ultimately should be reserved for when you have time to spend on other activities (i.e., post-tenure).

I've submitted class papers to a couple of smaller journals which are a big deal in Romania, but not in the US, just as an exercise in the process. I guess they technically count for something. I have another out for a journal that's one of the bigger ones in Ukrainian studies in North America. One other thing that may be good, especially in the humanities, is contributing a chapter or article to a volume of collected materials. I'm working on a couple of projects like that right now. I would think it'd look pretty good to have your name out there in a book from a major UP or something like that.

Many other science students have already said what I think is approximately standard across the sciences, which is an average of 1 first-author paper per year (usually none in years 1-2 but many in the later years) in the ideal case. For many schools, instead of writing a dissertation, you can submit a "manuscript thesis" which is basically just 3 first-author peer-reviewed *published* papers "stapled together". (Of course, you have to do more than actually stapling them together but it's basically just writing an introduction, copying the paper text almost verbatim, and adding some comments/follow-up before and after each paper.)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread! You guys are really lighting a fire under my a** to finish writing my publication (from my thesis) up and hopefully get it in press by this fall before I start my PhD program! :)

"publication (from my thesis)"

LOL ! I did just the opposite: putting all my publications (journals, conferences) together, linking them, expanding them, clothing them with an introduction and a conclusion and VOILA ! Dissertation done. Take a look at this Web site ( http://bit.ly/yQegxq ) to know how to do this.

Edited by Elimba

• 2 weeks later...