Total newb question

s_rez87

Sorry if this has been asked before. I asked 3 professors to write me a LoR and they all agreed. However, I have no idea what the next step is. They all told me to email them as a reminder and to include all the info of where and how to send them. One of the professors mentioned a website that they can upload and send to the universities I'm applying to.

Can someone please give me a simple explanation of how I'm about to go about this? Thank you.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I asked 3 professors to write me a LoR and they all agreed. However, I have no idea what the next step is. They all told me to email them as a reminder and to include all the info of where and how to send them. One of the professors mentioned a website that they can upload and send to the universities I'm applying to.

Can someone please give me a simple explanation of how I'm about to go about this? Thank you.

You'll want to check the section for graduate admissions on the departmental website for each of the universities to which you're applying--it'll specify whether they want paper letters (rare), letters uploaded through a third party document system (uncommon), or the letters uploaded by the recommenders directly to your online application (most common by far).

Usually what happens is once you start the actual online applications, there will be a section for "Recommendations" or "Recommenders" or something, where you enter and save your recommenders' contact information, including email address, and waive your right to see their letter (which you should waive!). Once you save that section of the application, it automatically sends emails to your recommenders with instructions on how to upload their letters.

A couple odd points: it's helpful to give recommenders a list of where you're applying/encourage them to check their spam folders, so nothing's missed. Also, while a lot of schools will generate the email requests as soon as you enter and save the contact information (which means you can get that done way before you even start the apps proper, which is kind to your letter writers), some (perversely) won't generate them until the entire application has been submitted, which is something to keep in mind as you think about timing.

Hope that helps!

Edited by unræd

I sent my rec writers a copy of my statement of purpose and a spreadsheet that had every program I'm applying to and application due dates. Some profs might want to look at assignments you've done in their classes (with their original comments), your CV and/or a transcript. I would at the minimum send your SOP, then ask them if there's anything else they need.

I told my professors that I'd be applying around November 15th (ahhh! 10 days!) and would send them a reminder email after I submitted all my applications. I have the benefit of still being at the program where all 3 profs are, so I can also tell them in person which might be a nice gesture if you can wing it.

As to the information on where/how to send the recs, you should check each program's website and see if they want a paper or digital copy. I lucked out in that all my programs want recs submitted online, so it streamlines the process for my profs.

Best of luck!