MA programs for East Asian art history?

Joy685

Hello everyone!

I graduated from Connecticut College with a double major in art history and East Asian Studies this past May. I did my thesis on Xu Bing and contemporary Chinese art and I am interested in pursuing this field further. Recently, I've been seriously thinking about grad school and I would really appreciate some suggestions for good programs (preferably in the U.S.) that will allow me to focus on (contemporary) East Asian art history so that I can begin to compile a list.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I'd recommend doing three things before waiting for a response:

1. Copy your topic title without the question mark.

2. Paste it into your Google search bar.

3. Hit enter.

Edit: I did these three steps (since I feel bad just scolding people on here--it's not like I have 500+ posts). These are the first 5 schools that came up:

1. UChicago

2. Boston U

3. Penn

4. Columbia

5. Harvard

Edited by GCool

Not that many U.S. graduate programs in art history offer terminal MA's. If you want to work with a professor specializing in modern/contemporary East Asian art, the list becomes even fewer. Those that come to mind are:

Jason Kuo & Alicia Volk at University of Maryland

Shaoqian Zhang at Oklahoma State University

& Wu Hung at University of Chicago, who you could potentially work with through the Master of Arts Program in the Humanities

Edited by intermsof

Of course, there's also Wei-Cheng Lin at UNC, who just published his first book, and (if I'm not mistaken) was a student of Wu Hung at UChicago. UNC offers an MA program, with some full funding for certain students according to the website, and offers the opportunity to continue into the PhD program. 

Edit:

He doesn't work on contemporary East Asian Art, so that's probably a no-go, unless your interests start moving further into the past. 

Edited by Lamantin