MFA Photography 2015

markeet

My personal opinion, both Parsons and Pratt have lame photo MFAs. If those were my only two choices, particularly with low funding, I would wait and apply again next year. I know a lot of Pratt people, and I went to Parsons for undergrad, and am personally not impressed with either of these grad programs. The Parsons photo MFA in particular is a joke. Parsons has an okay mfa in Fine Arts, but the photo program is completely separate and not a part of that program in any way. Not sure exactly what type of work you do, or what kind of program you are looking for, but I wouldn't recommend anyone go into debt for either of those programs. 

Hmm.. I guess the reputation that certain schools have outside of the US is quite different from within. I see you're based in NYC; would you recommend SVA then? 

Pratt is not good for photo. It's great for just about everything else, but NOT photo.

I visited in the fall and had a tour, and when we got to the photo facilities I was told that all the resources were for undergrads. The room for MFA photo was sad, too: just a small room with a table in the middle. You do get your own darkroom if you want, but for how much tuition is, you're not getting your money's worth at all.

I asked if they had any flash kits to check out and the answer I got was "Maybe one? People usually have their own stuff at this point in their careers."

Yeah, I don't have $13000 worth of lighting equipment.

I also spoke with one of the current photo grads and she told me to go somewhere else for photo. She looked really unhappy.

They offered me 15k in scholarships, but it's not nearly enough. If you have to take out loans for school, I say hold off and apply again next year. Going into debt for an MFA is seriously not worth it, and you can spend the next year finding schools with better funding to apply to.

That must have been a poor experience. I wish I could have toured the schools I applied to. Yeah, pushing it off for another year would give me time to earn more and do some research on better programs. I'll have to wait and see how things turn out. Anyways, have you reached a decision yet?

Does anyone know anything about SMFA's reputation with photography?  I was accepted there with a half tuition scholarship, and also accepted to Lesley.  Assuming I've been rejected from MassArt because they called with acceptances on Friday and I didn't hear anything.  

I know that SMFA is incredibly interdisciplinary, and I like the idea of being mixed in with artists in other mediums.  But I don't know much about their actual photography resources and faculty on a grad level.  When I toured their campus the photo labs seemed to be lacking.  They had large Epson printers, but the only monitors they had were iMacs, and I didn't see any film scanners besides flatbeds.  Anyone have any input on the facilities or grad faculty?  

Also curious about Lesley.  It's a super young program but they have some great looking faculty, and their new arts building is pretty amazing looking.  

I was accepted to SMFA too, but did not hear about scholarship. Was this included in your online decision letter? The impression I got from my Skype interview was that it's a pretty large program with no particular focus. 

Hmm.. I guess the reputation that certain schools have outside of the US is quite different from within. I see you're based in NYC; would you recommend SVA then?

That must have been a poor experience. I wish I could have toured the schools I applied to. Yeah, pushing it off for another year would give me time to earn more and do some research on better programs. I'll have to wait and see how things turn out. Anyways, have you reached a decision yet?

I was accepted to SMFA too, but did not hear about scholarship. Was this included in your online decision letter? The impression I got from my Skype interview was that it's a pretty large program with no particular focus.

The scholarship info was in the acceptance letter via mail. No mention of it online.

For those who want to research programs with more funding in order to apply next year, check out these threads and add any new information you might have.

They are a few years old but mostly still valid. I am reposting to make it easier for forum newcomers to find.

http://dodgeburn.blogspot.com/2009/10/11-free-mfa-programs-to-study.html

Pratt is not good for photo. It's great for just about everything else, but NOT photo.

I visited in the fall and had a tour, and when we got to the photo facilities I was told that all the resources were for undergrads. The room for MFA photo was sad, too: just a small room with a table in the middle. You do get your own darkroom if you want, but for how much tuition is, you're not getting your money's worth at all.

I asked if they had any flash kits to check out and the answer I got was "Maybe one? People usually have their own stuff at this point in their careers."

Yeah, I don't have $13000 worth of lighting equipment.

I also spoke with one of the current photo grads and she told me to go somewhere else for photo. She looked really unhappy.

They offered me 15k in scholarships, but it's not nearly enough. If you have to take out loans for school, I say hold off and apply again next year. Going into debt for an MFA is seriously not worth it, and you can spend the next year finding schools with better funding to apply to.

Have you visited some other schools? Like SVA or Parsons?  

That must have been a poor experience. I wish I could have toured the schools I applied to. Yeah, pushing it off for another year would give me time to earn more and do some research on better programs. I'll have to wait and see how things turn out. Anyways, have you reached a decision yet?

Seems SVA has the best reputation so far.. But to live and study in NYC for 3 years is no joke..

For anyone waiting on MICA: just got a Photo interview request, via email today. Asking to chat via Skype before Monday.

Did you hear back from MICA today? I noticed you listed accepted .. we're you contacted by email or phone? 

Did you hear back from MICA today? I noticed you listed accepted .. we're you contacted by email or phone? 

I was informally accepted during my interview on Tuesday. Haven't received any email or word on funding just yet.

Thanks sharing the info!  Do you have some specific opinion on Pratt and SVA MFA Photo?

I would say I know the Pratt program better than SVA, and I agree with what was said on here already about Pratt. The facilities are a joke, there is no attention to that program, and I think the lack of quality coming from the photo program there is reflected in the fact that literally nobody comes out of there anyone has ever heard of. It's a dreary and outdated photo program. The school puts nothing into it. And then when you factor in how much money it costs... 

SVA as a whole I think is a giant money machine. I don't think the education itself is the worse in the world, but that school definitely is packing in the students like sardines to get the money. Go to an SVA open studios and you will get claustrophobic. SVA is flashy, and has fine facilities/faculty, but again for me I don't know why you would pay the money to go there. I would pick City College over SVA any day.

Can you give any more information on the Parsons Photo MFA? I'm trying to decide between Parsons and SVA, and have a feeling Parsons won't be quite as stimulating as I want... the curriculum seems a little too loose and the program too reliant on really awesome facilities. What in particular makes it weak? 

I liked the faculty I've met with quite a bit, but there's something about it that makes me think I would be disappointed considering where I'm at and what I want. 

I think you nailed it with your impression of Parsons. That is a big part of the problem (fine facilities and faculty but the program lacks attention and direction). The Photo MFA at Parsons was literally a joke 3-5 years ago. They have worked on it, it has gotten better, and now it is not nearly as much as a joke... until you get that tuition bill. There are administrative problems there that keep the curriculum from being revamped and for the attention the students need to be had. Parsons puts it's energy into its undergraduate programs, there grad programs have been lacking a long time. Apply there in 10 years once they get it together. 

Keep in mind places like Parsons and SVA have huge marketing budgets and work hard to get there name out there. They are in NYC and the faculty at these places are good, but for what you get out of it, you could easily not spend nearly as much money and get as good or better education. 

Ask yourself this question, do you care about what you learn more, or the name of the school on the resume more? If all you care about is the name and reputation, Yale is going to get more attention on your CV than Parsons ever would. If you care about education, then you need to find a program that fits you well. This gets more complicated because programs all have their own culture and pedagogy. This is something that really nobody else can tell you is right or wrong, because it has to do with your interests and what you want to get out of it. That being said, I would also factor in money big time to these decisions. 

I hope any of this doesn't come off as rude. For anyone who loves SVA or Parsons, that is fine. I know a lot of people who have gone to both. Some were happy, some not. SVA seems particularly well suited for technology based things such as video or animation. Parsons is okay for fine arts, I don't think either or great for photo. I would encourage you all to speak directly to the programs, though, and ask them specific questions. That is the best way to see if the culture there fits you. Hope some of this help.

I would say I know the Pratt program better than SVA, and I agree with what was said on here already about Pratt. The facilities are a joke, there is no attention to that program, and I think the lack of quality coming from the photo program there is reflected in the fact that literally nobody comes out of there anyone has ever heard of. It's a dreary and outdated photo program. The school puts nothing into it. And then when you factor in how much money it costs... 

SVA as a whole I think is a giant money machine. I don't think the education itself is the worse in the world, but that school definitely is packing in the students like sardines to get the money. Go to an SVA open studios and you will get claustrophobic. SVA is flashy, and has fine facilities/faculty, but again for me I don't know why you would pay the money to go there. I would pick City College over SVA any day.

I think you nailed it with your impression of Parsons. That is a big part of the problem (fine facilities and faculty but the program lacks attention and direction). The Photo MFA at Parsons was literally a joke 3-5 years ago. They have worked on it, it has gotten better, and now it is not nearly as much as a joke... until you get that tuition bill. There are administrative problems there that keep the curriculum from being revamped and for the attention the students need to be had. Parsons puts it's energy into its undergraduate programs, there grad programs have been lacking a long time. Apply there in 10 years once they get it together. 

Keep in mind places like Parsons and SVA have huge marketing budgets and work hard to get there name out there. They are in NYC and the faculty at these places are good, but for what you get out of it, you could easily not spend nearly as much money and get as good or better education. 

Ask yourself this question, do you care about what you learn more, or the name of the school on the resume more? If all you care about is the name and reputation, Yale is going to get more attention on your CV than Parsons ever would. If you care about education, then you need to find a program that fits you well. This gets more complicated because programs all have their own culture and pedagogy. This is something that really nobody else can tell you is right or wrong, because it has to do with your interests and what you want to get out of it. That being said, I would also factor in money big time to these decisions. 

I hope any of this doesn't come off as rude. For anyone who loves SVA or Parsons, that is fine. I know a lot of people who have gone to both. Some were happy, some not. SVA seems particularly well suited for technology based things such as video or animation. Parsons is okay for fine arts, I don't think either or great for photo. I would encourage you all to speak directly to the programs, though, and ask them specific questions. That is the best way to see if the culture there fits you. Hope some of this help.

Why you change your ID so frequently? 

Anyone accepted to ICP-bard? Any opinion about this program?

I am choosing from ICP-bard and SCAD..

btw, any words from Syracuse?

thx a lot. 

I work at ICP (not in the MFA) - the facilities are amazing (the very best I've seen - I feel quite spoiled). There are also lots of amazing faculty members, a great visiting artist program, and wide variety of classes. I would visit if you can. They have studios in Long Island City, where each student puts up a solo show, and they also have a group show in the school's gallery in midtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone accepted to ICP-bard? Any opinion about this program?

I am choosing from ICP-bard and SCAD..

btw, any words from Syracuse?

thx a lot. 

For what it's worth, SCAD has a terrible reputation in the Southern United States. Really expensive for a really mediocre education.

Accepted SVA's offer this weekend. Going to have an obscene amount of debt for the rest of my life, but so excited about the program. I knew I'd have major regret if I went anywhere else, even if more affordable. 

It's finally over! 

Accepted SVA's offer this weekend. Going to have an obscene amount of debt for the rest of my life, but so excited about the program. I knew I'd have major regret if I went anywhere else, even if more affordable. 

It's finally over! 

Hi! for 2 or 3-years programme? I am also accepted! 

Hi! for 2 or 3-years programme? I am also accepted! 

Two years! 

Any plans to go through the huge reading list they have on the site? I think it's how I'm going to spend my summer. I want to start already!

http://mfaphoto.schoolofvisualarts.edu/wp-content/uploads//2014/08/Reading-List-2014.pdf

CalArts vs. RIT. 

I'm more inclined towards the latter due to funding and assistantship. I've heard Valencia is a short drive from LA but the idea of living in Rochester is a bit intimidating. Both schools would require me to relocate anyway.

Other than funding, can anyone provide insights on the two programs? 

CalArts vs. RIT. 

I'm more inclined towards the latter due to funding and assistantship. I've heard Valencia is a short drive from LA but the idea of living in Rochester is a bit intimidating. Both schools would require me to relocate anyway.

Other than funding, can anyone provide insights on the two programs? 

I think going with the one that will leave you with less debt is smart, but depends on how significant the difference is. CalArts has an amazing faculty (incl. visiting artists/faculty) and connections to the fine art photo world, so it's definitely a great choice. I declined due to low funding but perhaps you can negotiate with them?

I think going with the one that will leave you with less debt is smart, but depends on how significant the difference is. CalArts has an amazing faculty (incl. visiting artists/faculty) and connections to the fine art photo world, so it's definitely a great choice. I declined due to low funding but perhaps you can negotiate with them?

I've tried negotiating with CalArts but they don't seem to have funds at the moment for international students.

What about you? Have you decided where to go?

• 2 weeks later...