JUDGE ME!

HNV721

Based off my stats, how viable do you - the board - think I am for the schools I applied to (listed below).

- BA in history, graduated summa cum laude (note: graduated from regional public school)

- 3.59 grade point avg (averaged 3.91 over last 85+ credit hours at graduating institution)

- 3.8 in history, 4.0 in religious studies (minor), 4.0 in languages

- GRE: 161 verbal, 148 quant, 5.0 writing

Applying to Vanderbilt Divinity (MTS; POI = Byrd), Harvard Divinity (MTS; POI = Brekus), FSU (MA, religious studies; POI = Porterfield + Corrigan), Mizzou (MA, religious studies; POI = Callahan + Wigger), Ole Miss (MA, history; POI = Ownby)

Judge away!

Based off my stats, how viable do you - the board - think I am for the schools I applied to (listed below).

- BA in history, graduated summa cum laude (note: graduated from regional public school)

- 3.59 grade point avg (averaged 3.91 over last 85+ credit hours at graduating institution)

- 3.8 in history, 4.0 in religious studies (minor), 4.0 in languages

- GRE: 161 verbal, 148 quant, 5.0 writing

Applying to Vanderbilt Divinity (MTS; POI = Byrd), Harvard Divinity (MTS; POI = Brekus), FSU (MA, religious studies; POI = Porterfield + Corrigan), Mizzou (MA, religious studies; POI = Callahan + Wigger), Ole Miss (MA, history; POI = Ownby)

Judge away!

1. GPA okay, but a lot of applicants will have higher marks.

2.You have languages, which is a big plus if they are relevant to your prospective areas of study.

3. Gre: verbal decent, quant a bit low (but most humanities programs wo't care), AW good.

As long as your other application materials are great I think you will have a pretty good shot. Focus on SOPs and writing sample.

I really like all the components of my applications. SOPs were a bit weird for me for some reason. Just felt awkward, but I got better and better the more I tried. Unfortunately I think my SOP for FSU is my weakest and that's my number one choice. We will see. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by HNV721

depends on sop and other related 'make you look good' factoids

honestly, i see many mts-ers at hds with similiar but you really have to nail the sop - cold - to rise above the pack

i suspect you're assured getting into 2 of the 5....

you asked for my assessment.......

The state schools may be a bit harder to get into, though I don't know a ton about their specific programs. The 'big name' divinity schools tend to ride somewhere around 40-60% acceptance (MTS); thus your stats should be more than adequate given your SOP/letters are decent/good.