Hunter - Fall 2015

AstoriaGal

Openmind, I know you didn't say that you hated it. But you agreed with the comments of the school being "incredibly disorganized, rude, and inconsiderate" and applying to many aspects of the school. To the point where you wish you didn't attend. I think thats a pretty strong sentiment. I know that every academic institution isn't for every student, which is a little closer to what I was originally trying to get at with not understanding why people stay when there are choices. I have really enjoyed my time at Hunter and have friends who have enjoyed experiences at the programs at NYU and Fordham.

Hi everyone. My brief application-relationship timeline with Hunter is...

March 31 -- My completed application is submitted to Hunter's 2-year program.  Did this after receiving their announced deadline extension in early March.  According to the announcement, the extension was only available for the 2-year program.

April 14 -- I noticed my online application status changed to "pending interview". Not sure exactly when the status changed because I hadn't been checking every day.   Later that same day the group interview email invitation arrived (for an on campus interview, not for Skype).

MY QUESTIONS:

What's the process has been like for anyone who's interviewed in April 2015? Maybe it's too early to ask, but how much time elapsed between your interview and your notice of acceptance / rejection?

What were the questions like at your group interview?

MY CONTRIBUTION:

Here are a few comments about the Hunter group interview questions posted by *other* people. I edited some a bit. Thought this might be convenient for people, instead of having to troll around searching a bunch of posts (not that this won't stop you from doing that anyway... you know who you are  ;) ):

The question my group got: "What would you do if you worked at a nursing home with a no-gifts policy and were offered a gift by a resident?" I'd expected this type of question and was able to talk about similar experiences at work. The interviewer was especially intent on finding out whether we had good boundaries, and asked each of us tough follow-up questions each time we answered her. Social work vets seem to have an uncanny ability to weed out people with transference issues. It's definitely not a good idea to hint that you have any type of "savior" personality or a too-personal attitude toward your work.

Why Hunter?
What populations would you dislike working with?

What experience do you have in the field and how does it relate to SW? 

Why did you choose Hunter?

How would you define your social identity and how will it impact your work with clients?

The facilitator read a short vignette about a returning veteran who is having attachment issues and wants to continue texting you after your therapy sessions end.  What are your thoughts on this and what would you do in the situation?

The writing sample was about a city with a high minority population, where the LGBTQ population is often harrassed by both neighbors and the police.  Many stores have become "safe spaces" for the LGBTQ population, and a Pride Parade is held.  What implications for social welfare does this article have?

what do you think of when you hear "at risk population"?

Homeless intoxicated man comes to a "dry" shelter in a winter storm, what do you do?

A frail woman wants to cook for you every week you come to check up on her, what do you do?

what is your work experience and how does it relate to social work,

why did you choose hunter

How do you define your social identity?

What are the implications that your social identity can have on your work?

A short vignette that the moderator reads and group discusses how they would address it

20 minute writing sample.

Hi everyone. My brief application-relationship timeline with Hunter is...

March 31 -- My completed application is submitted to Hunter's 2-year program.  Did this after receiving their announced deadline extension in early March.  According to the announcement, the extension was only available for the 2-year program.

April 14 -- I noticed my online application status changed to "pending interview". Not sure exactly when the status changed because I hadn't been checking every day.   Later that same day the group interview email invitation arrived (for an on campus interview, not for Skype).

MY QUESTIONS:

What's the process has been like for anyone who's interviewed in April 2015? Maybe it's too early to ask, but how much time elapsed between your interview and your notice of acceptance / rejection?

What were the questions like at your group interview?

MY CONTRIBUTION:

Here are a few comments about the Hunter group interview questions posted by *other* people. I edited some a bit. Thought this might be convenient for people, instead of having to troll around searching a bunch of posts (not that this won't stop you from doing that anyway... you know who you are  ;) ):

The question my group got: "What would you do if you worked at a nursing home with a no-gifts policy and were offered a gift by a resident?" I'd expected this type of question and was able to talk about similar experiences at work. The interviewer was especially intent on finding out whether we had good boundaries, and asked each of us tough follow-up questions each time we answered her. Social work vets seem to have an uncanny ability to weed out people with transference issues. It's definitely not a good idea to hint that you have any type of "savior" personality or a too-personal attitude toward your work.

Why Hunter?
What populations would you dislike working with?

What experience do you have in the field and how does it relate to SW? 

Why did you choose Hunter?

How would you define your social identity and how will it impact your work with clients?

The facilitator read a short vignette about a returning veteran who is having attachment issues and wants to continue texting you after your therapy sessions end.  What are your thoughts on this and what would you do in the situation?

The writing sample was about a city with a high minority population, where the LGBTQ population is often harrassed by both neighbors and the police.  Many stores have become "safe spaces" for the LGBTQ population, and a Pride Parade is held.  What implications for social welfare does this article have?

what do you think of when you hear "at risk population"?

Homeless intoxicated man comes to a "dry" shelter in a winter storm, what do you do?

A frail woman wants to cook for you every week you come to check up on her, what do you do?

what is your work experience and how does it relate to social work,

why did you choose hunter

How do you define your social identity?

What are the implications that your social identity can have on your work?

A short vignette that the moderator reads and group discusses how they would address it

20 minute writing sample.

hahaha i like your style. i stalked the hunter thread on this forum all the way back until 2012 before my interview.

to answer your questions, i interviewed on 4/2 and was accepted on 4/15. almost exactly two week turn around, but i think they were on spring break the week after my interview so i'm not sure if they were reviewing applications at the time.

in regard to the interview, it is very laid back. and trust me.. coming from someone who has anticipatory/performance anxiety big time, i know that's hard to believe - but previous posters weren't kidding when they said it's more like an open discussion. questions asked (as best as i can recall):

1.) Why social work/why hunter (nobody in my group actually got around to the why hunter part because the interviewer tells you to make your response as concise as possible, but i would try to squeeze it!). hint: make your answer relevant and legitimate. i think they are looking for a little more depth than "i had a great experience with a social worker when xyz happened to me" or "i've always wanted to help people".

2.) Describe your experience in the field/any related experience, which segwayed into which populations you'd like to work with

3.) Describe your social identity (bonus: talk about how your social identity will influence your work with future clients/populations)

4.) Vignette: you are working at a college counseling center, one of your clients is a veteran coping with PTSD/Depression, he asks for your number for times "when he is feeling down", what do you do? (obviously this is a pretty straight forward ethical dilemma but it brings up some other issues too, try and think critically about the vignettes and don't just give a surface level answer).

it's possible i'm forgetting a question but honestly the interviewer seemed to go with the flow of our conversation and answers. we ended the interview with a written response to an article about poverty/food industry in nyc. a word to the wise: make sure you read the full article. i mistakenly thought it was only one page when it was double sided and only responded to the first page! yikes!

biggest piece of advice would be to actively participate and interact with the other interviewees. show off your awesome listening skills. build upon each others ideas. don't always rush to be the first to answer, but make sure you get your say in. trust me, after you answer the first question your nerves will calm and it feels pretty natural! it also helps to have an idea of the questions that will be asked, which was why this forum was a life saver :-) let me know if you have any more questions!

Hi all.

I had my interview on April 7 and my status changed to being reviewed on April 14. It is now two weeks after the interview and I have not received a decision yet. Does that mean I am getting rejected? I dont think I did well on the interview (i.e. interviewer asked me why I am not going into special ed so I dont think she understood me at all) and I did terrible on the writing sample. Do they really overlook all my positive qualities and strength in favor of a lousy interview and writing sample? Also, how long does it take to get the rejection (it feels like cruel and unusual punishment to make me wait any longer-just get it over with already)? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

@LoveSW. I interviewed on April 1st. On April 13th my application changed from pending interview, to being reviewed. On April 14th it changed to pending dean decision. I received an acceptance email at 10:30pm on the 15th.

I also felt the same about my interview and writing sample. I let my nerves get the best of me and wasn't able to articulate myself as well as I would have liked. I didn't do great on the reading and responding section either. I needed more time and didn't feel like I gave it my best effort. When it was over, another applicant asked why the school started requiring the sample during the interview. The interviewer said that the school just wants to get a sense of our writing ability. She said that it wasn't a make or break, but that they want to provide incoming students with writing assistance if their skills aren't strong.

I imagine that the school considers the entire application and not just the interview and writing sample because I felt just like you.

Best of luck.

I think that the interview questions must vary a bit depending upon who the interviewer is.  I interviewed on 4/14 and we weren't asked about our social identity or given the ethical dilemma regarding the veteran.  In addition to being asked about why we wanted to do social work and why we wanted to go to Hunter, I remember being asked the following questions (not verbatim):

- Talk about a time where somebody gave you constructive criticism, how you reacted to it and what you learned from it

- What would you do if you were in class and a fellow student expressed an opinion, did something, or stood for something which you absolutely did not approve of?

There were other questions, but I'm blanking on them right now.

The interviewer didn't rush us at all, it was quite the opposite.

Anyone still have the status application submitted and complete? I haven't heard anything and my application has been complete for 10 weeks. Starting to lose hope  :(

You should stalk them, professionally of course, for answers. It is difficult to get in contact with them but you can message with them through their website. Hopefully they can get you the contact information of someone you can call directly

@LoveSW. I interviewed on April 1st. On April 13th my application changed from pending interview, to being reviewed. On April 14th it changed to pending dean decision. I received an acceptance email at 10:30pm on the 15th.

I also felt the same about my interview and writing sample. I let my nerves get the best of me and wasn't able to articulate myself as well as I would have liked. I didn't do great on the reading and responding section either. I needed more time and didn't feel like I gave it my best effort. When it was over, another applicant asked why the school started requiring the sample during the interview. The interviewer said that the school just wants to get a sense of our writing ability. She said that it wasn't a make or break, but that they want to provide incoming students with writing assistance if their skills aren't strong.

I imagine that the school considers the entire application and not just the interview and writing sample because I felt just like you.

Best of luck.

Thank you! It seems as though everyone accepted received their acceptances within 2-15 days of the interview. Today is day 15 for me so if I do not get an acceptance today then does it mean that I am automatically rejected or can people get accepted later than the typical 15 day period? Edited by LoveSW

Thank you! It seems as though everyone accepted received their acceptances within 2-15 days of the interview. Today is day 15 for me so if I do not get an acceptance today then does it mean that I am automatically rejected or can people get accepted later than the typical 15 day period?

I highly doubt that's how it works. The way I see it is, you aren't rejected until you officially get a letter saying you are.

@LoveSW I agree with melma. I don't think you should compare other timelines to your own because it seems that the process is different for everyone.

I submitted my application way back in November and checked the forum often. I saw that others received interviews and acceptances before I did and it stressed me out. I know it's tough to be patient. It is always easier said than done. But you will hear back soon.

There may be other people out there who received their acceptance after 15 days. They might just not be posting here.

I highly doubt that's how it works. The way I see it is, you aren't rejected until you officially get a letter saying you are.

I understand that I am not officially rejected yet but can I assume that I am being rejected just based on the fact that accepted students got their acceptances within 2-15 days of their interviews? Or do you know anyone that got accepted after 15 days and is so, how long did they have to wait for an acceptance?

@LoveSW I agree with melma. I don't think you should compare other timelines to your own because it seems that the process is different for everyone.

I submitted my application way back in November and checked the forum often. I saw that others received interviews and acceptances before I did and it stressed me out. I know it's tough to be patient. It is always easier said than done. But you will hear back soon.

There may be other people out there who received their acceptance after 15 days. They might just not be posting here.

Looks like we cross posted. I hear you but its really frustrating to be waiting so long when others who have interviewed after me already know their fate. Guess this is a good test of patience and staying positive.

The thing about me is that I am from an atypical background and I only know of a handful of men (im female) from my demogrophic who have been accepted at Hunter, no women. So while Hunter claims to accept people from a diverse background, it seems as though its not the case here and I am upset about it. This makes me even more certain that I will be rejected.

Looks like we cross posted. I hear you but its really frustrating to be waiting so long when others who have interviewed after me already know their fate. Guess this is a good test of patience and staying positive.

The thing about me is that I am from an atypical background and I only know of a handful of men (im female) from my demogrophic who have been accepted at Hunter, no women. So while Hunter claims to accept people from a diverse background, it seems as though its not the case here and I am upset about it. This makes me even more certain that I will be rejected.

I don't know how your background is going to play into it. I am confident that hunter will make decisions based on your application and interview and determine if you are a fit for the school. I think you should try and contact Perry White or go to the school and talk to admissions. I also don't know how much time they said it would take for you to receive a response. I do think that you should have gotten a reply by now and it is possible that something is wrong and an error could have been made.

@LoveSW

I agree with what others have said, especially that you can't reliably draw conclusions about the admissions process based on what a handful of people have posted to this forum, when there are literally hundreds of applicants. To think about it from a statistics standpoint, you're drawing conclusions form a very small sample size.

Also, the duration of time that passes between interview and notice of decision is not indicative of whether someone is rejected or accepted.  

Finally, it's possible that whoever facilitated your group was, for some reason, slow in submitting their interview feedback.  Maybe they had an emergency, something or other came up--you just never know. 

If you're feeling really anxious, contact admissions. Say you interviewed on such and such date and were told decisions would be received in X number of days (if that's the case). And you're wondering whether they can give you any sense of when you should expect news. Asking for an update won't negatively affect your application.

Good luck!

I was accepted a couple of days ago after a rather rough interview. I will not be attending due to the location of the school - it's far from the subways and I do not feel comfortable traveling in the neighborhood at night. Best wishes to you all!

To create a Facebook Group for Incoming Fall 2015 students I need to add at least one person from my friend list! I'm not friends with any of you so if one of you can PM me with your facebook URL that would be great -- so we can get a group started!