Hunter - Fall 2015

AstoriaGal

Hello everyone! I Read this online and decided to get an account.

I submitted my application to Hunter 12/19/2014. It was finalized (completed) 1/5. About 3 weeks ago I received an email invitation for the interview- the slots fill up pretty quick. I signed up to have my interview March 9 (this past Monday). After the interview I asked when should I hear back from them, I was told to wait at least 1 week. I checked yesterday afternoon and my status changed!

I got accepted into the program! I was very surprised at how fast they made the decision and the status changed, since they usually say it takes longer.

Those that have not heard from Hunter, I would say just wait a bit because they have a lot of applications and there are still dates available for interview. Also, I think they day your application was reviewed or "completed" has a lot to do with the order they send interview invitations!

Wishing everyone the best of luck!!

Congratulations on your acceptance. What method did you apply for? I am waiting for an interview on April 6 th for COPD .

How was the interview? what questions? Any tips?

Thanks

Edited by Strong

i am going to assume the track questions are different because the students that were interviewed with me were all clinical. they ask why social work, why hunter, what experiences led you to choose social work!

just got this from hunter - what does it mean? seems like a no and then a maybe?

"Thank you for your patience. We would like to inform you that your application is in the final stages of review.  It has been reviewed by the committee and was not moved forward for an interview.  It will be reviewed again and either moved to interview or not accepted to our program.  All decisions will be posted to your online application shortly (by the end of the week).  

• If “pending interview”, you will receive electronic notification first to schedule time to meet with us on campus. 
  • If not accepted, notification will be posted online only. The office is not available to answer questions about non-acceptance until August-Reapplication Information Session (will be posted on our website).
  • If accepted for non-matriculated status, applicants will receive a separate letter in the mail."

just got this from hunter - what does it mean? seems like a no and then a maybe?

"Thank you for your patience. We would like to inform you that your application is in the final stages of review.  It has been reviewed by the committee and was not moved forward for an interview.  It will be reviewed again and either moved to interview or not accepted to our program.  All decisions will be posted to your online application shortly (by the end of the week).  

• If “pending interview”, you will receive electronic notification first to schedule time to meet with us on campus. 
  • If not accepted, notification will be posted online only. The office is not available to answer questions about non-acceptance until August-Reapplication Information Session (will be posted on our website).
  • If accepted for non-matriculated status, applicants will receive a separate letter in the mail."

I got the same email. I am just as confused as well simply because it seems that they are rejecting my application and my status on my application is pending decision. I don't know what to think. 

Hi all! I submitted my application on February 4th - uploaded my unofficial transcript via the "upload" button on the site. My application status still reads as "submitted" but "incomplete" for my transcript. Is this a bad sign...? Haha. The wait is killing me!

It says that because it is still being reviewed by the committee. If you get invited for an interview it will change to "pending interview". Mine was like that until it changed to "hold" then "pending program decision". Which means that my application is being reviewed again because it was not moved for an interview the first time. So now am waiting for a final response. My friend's application was like yours also but she was invited to the interview and was accepted already. So its alright. You will hear from them eventually. Hunter is notorious for their horrible communication but they get there eventually.

I got the same email. I am just as confused as well simply because it seems that they are rejecting my application and my status on my application is pending decision. I don't know what to think.

Yeah i got that same email. They do double review of all applications, unless they outright reject. It means we still have a small degree of hope. Though it certainly feels like they are just stringing us along just to reject us in the end. I applied for non-matriculated when i started to worry they would not accept me. I figure I could do 2 or 3 classes in that fall then apply to another school for spring and transfer the credits. Lehman College also has an MSW program and I will be meeting with a counselor so that I can get some advice as to what classes to take there so that i have no issue transferring the credits. Though I will also be applying for non-matriculated at Lehman to make it even easier for myself come spring.

Yeah i got that same email. They do double review of all applications, unless they outright reject. It means we still have a small degree of hope. Though it certainly feels like they are just stringing us along just to reject us in the end. I applied for non-matriculated when i started to worry they would not accept me. I figure I could do 2 or 3 classes in that fall then apply to another school for spring and transfer the credits. Lehman College also has an MSW program and I will be meeting with a counselor so that I can get some advice as to what classes to take there so that i have no issue transferring the credits. Though I will also be applying for non-matriculated at Lehman to make it even easier for myself come spring.

I don't want to do a non-matriculated program because financial aid does not cover for it. It comes from out of pocket which is not an option right now. Any classes you take for a non- matriculated program or professional credit courses sometimes its called that. You can take courses that go towards your msw program and they will transfer to any school you are applying to. I don't have an advisor telling me what to do this is all on my own time, because my undergraduate program decided to bail on me. I just hope that they will at least give me an interview to see that there is possible potential and if not i sleep well at night knowing that i tried my best. 

I don't want to do a non-matriculated program because financial aid does not cover for it. It comes from out of pocket which is not an option right now. Any classes you take for a non- matriculated program or professional credit courses sometimes its called that. You can take courses that go towards your msw program and they will transfer to any school you are applying to. I don't have an advisor telling me what to do this is all on my own time, because my undergraduate program decided to bail on me. I just hope that they will at least give me an interview to see that there is possible potential and if not i sleep well at night knowing that i tried my best.

You should try to talk to advisor from Silberman then. Am sure they can help, if you can actually get a hold of them. Also if you become able to do non-matriculated it is good to speak with a counselor from the school you are going to do the credits and the school you plan to apply to to confirm that the credits will transfer because sometimes they don't.

At the time, its best to plan as if you have been rejected instead of holding to the hope that you might get an interview. Sorry for sounding harsh, but I was at that stage last week but now I realize that it wont get me anywhere.

Did anyone send a thank you letter after your group interview? Had my interview on Friday and I am not feeling too confident about it. I'm wondering if I should send a follow-up email. 

I dont think it would do any harm but I feel that recommendations and feedback are submitted that same day or the following day depending on the time of your interview. I heard back the following day after my interview so the process can move quickly at times. Also the department sending out the emails to you isn't the same as the person who sat in on your interview. 

I would say to sit back and relax and know that if you are a fit for the program and it for you, then you will be ok.