I graduated 3 years ago...

pwe5000

I finished my MA 3 years ago, have stayed in (occasional) contact with only one professor, and am applying to PhD programs.

It seems like it will be really hard to get a good LOR from a professor who had me in class 3-4 years ago. I had decent relationships with a few profs, but I live in another country now and have not stayed in contact. I can send them my CV, SOP, and writing sample, but they won't be able to say things like, "This student always studies diligently and has original ideas" because they might not even remember me...

Any advice? Anyone been in this situation while applying?

Did you research or write a paper with any of the professors you are thinking about asking? I actually asked two of my professors 2.5 years ago if they could write me a recommendation in the future because I knew I was going to work in the industry for 2+ years before applying. When I emailed them a few months ago I attached my project/report and research papers I did with them to the email so they would have something to remember about me. I also typed up a document (with lots of pictures) on what I have been up to since last seeing them. It broke the ice quite well and they both came through for me.