3 research experiences, but LOR from only 2 of them. Is this bad?

Research Experience:

6 months in an ecology lab (undergrad, small school)

2 years in a neuroscience lab (undergrad, small school)

2 years in an entrepreneurship lab at Stanford (postgrad)

-----------------------------------

So, unfortunately due to personal family matters, my PI from my 2 years of neuroscience research is on sabbatical and wont be writing me a LOR. Do you think that will negatively impact my applications by not having a LOR from one of my research experiences? The other letters are strong, I know that. 2 research and one character, did well letter. 

I have letters from my 

PI that I worked with for 6 months (Also my academic advisor, very strong letter)

PI that I worked with for 2 years at Stanford

O-Chem prof and academic advisor who I knew well (this is unfortunately more of a "good person and did well in my class" type of letter. 

Should I worry that this will look like a red flag?

Are you sure you cant get one from that PI? You worked for him/her for 2 years so it is pretty important that you have his/her letter.

My undergrad advisor was in sabbatical in Europe and he wrote me all kinds of letters. 

Are you sure you cant get one from that PI? You worked for him/her for 2 years so it is pretty important that you have his/her letter.

My undergrad advisor was in sabbatical in Europe and he wrote me all kinds of letters. 

My PI is on an emergency family sabbatical and I cannot reach her. The department has directions to not give our her personal contact information and she is not responding to any contact I try through her university email.

Did you ask him/her if they would, and they said they can't, or are you just assuming? One of my LORs is coming from a prof who is on sabbatical, but he was still happy to write one. Since it's your only research (listed here anyway) in neuroscience, I think it would carry a lot of weight to have a good reference there.

edit: I didn't see your previous response when I wrote this. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do about it, so there's no use worrying about the impact of what you can't change.

Edited by MathCat

Did you ask him/her if they would, and they said they can't, or are you just assuming? One of my LORs is coming from a prof who is on sabbatical, but he was still happy to write one. Since it's your only research (listed here anyway) in neuroscience, I think it would carry a lot of weight to have a good reference there.

edit: I didn't see your previous response when I wrote this. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do about it, so there's no use worrying about the impact of what you can't change.

Yeah. I was just trying to gauge whether I should expect it to be a detriment or not. My other LOR are very strong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two letters is becoming the norm. for people who are not attending graduate school right after undergraduate. If you have work experience in between the time you  finish undergrad and graduate school that will it self provide an explanation for 2 letters instead of three. Its better to have 2 strong letters of support vs. 3 wavering letters.

I worked in a lab for 5 years and was only able to get 2 letters but the first letter was so strong, it addressed all the main points adcoms want to see in order to help them make a good decision.

It's all about QUALITY not QUANTITY.