• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


MathCat last won the day on July 1 2015

MathCat had the most liked content!

About MathCat

  • Rank
    Latte Macchiato

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Application Season
    Already Attending
  • Program
    Pure Math

Recent Profile Visitors

5,107 profile views
  1. It is US income, I had no income from Canada for 2016. Specifically, it's part of my stipend from the university which is classified as fellowship income (basically, I TAed at half the usual amount, and the 'fellowship' amount included a top up so I was paid the normal amount for a full time TA). I will call the CRA.
  2. It's me again, with yet another tax return mistake! Well, I'm hoping it is a mistake. For the 2016 taxes, I had income only from the US: TA wages (say $X) on a W-2, and fellowship income (say $Y) on a 1042-S. A tax accountant in the family (informally) helped me with my Canadian tax return, but honestly I am not that confident in some/much of what they did. The result was that on my T1, in box 104 'other employment income', the amount entered was $(X+Y). I believe this is a mistake - after all, my fellowship income is not employment income! This definitely seems to be what earlier posts are explaining. As entered, I would have owed a significant amount to CRA (I had a large fellowship amount that year). I did not include my tuition waiver as income, but I did file the TL11A for tuition credits. I think this was also a mistake - CRA has contacted me asking for justification for this, and from what they ask for it seems that I should have included it in my income as well, which makes sense in retrospect. Should I simply have added this amount to my income and included the TL11A? No other forms required (e.g. showing the tuition waiver as income in some way - I do get billed for it and then it gets paid by the dept, but it doesn't appear on any tax forms)?
  3. If you get your funding year round, it's not surprising to me that they ask you to do something to earn it during the summer. My program does not require students to take classes or TA during the summer (in fact, there are no courses to take in the summer), but students can apply for TA positions if they need summer funding. There are also other funding opportunities as RAs, e.g. for REUs or just grant funding from your advisor.
  4. Narring Down Choices for French

    I would recommend posting this in the 'languages' sub-forum:
  5. What do you do while proctoring an exam?

    When I TAed for classes that were in a fairly small classroom, say seating at most 50 people or so, I would mostly stay at the front with the professor and only walk through the aisles to answer questions from students. I think walking around in a relatively small classroom can be disruptive. I'm now TAing a larger class and the exams happen in a 150-200 person lecture hall. I do think it is worth walking up and down the aisles a couple of times during the exam, both for shy students and to go stand at the back. From the front, it's easy to see if somebody always has their eyes on the exams in front of or beside them, but from the back you may identify other kinds of cheating. I wish I didn't have to be so vigilant, but my school has serious problems with cheating in many of the large introductory courses from many departments. We also require students to bring their exams to the front and leave their phones if they need a washroom break. This doesn't really prevent cheating during a washroom break, since we don't escort them, but I guess it's something.
  6. This is my first year filing as a factual resident (long story there, but suffice to say I have to correct my 2015 tax return...), and I'm uncertain on how to answer the question for my province of residence on Dec. 31, 2016. I guess I am a factual resident due to my ties to BC, and that is where my permanent Canadian address (i.e. my parents' house) is. But it is not where *I* lived on Dec. 31. So do I answer British Columbia? I'm using UFile online right now. The options are: say BC, or choose one of 'deemed resident' or 'non-resident', neither of which applies to me, I believe. edit: nevermind, I found the answer: I do indeed say BC. Found here: "For each tax year that you're a factual resident of Canada for tax purposes, use the General Income Tax package for the province or territory where you keep residential ties. Generally, this is the province or territory where you lived before you left Canada."
  7. My department has a lot of non-math TAs, mostly from fields like engineering or physics. Never enough people to TA for all those calculus classes! I also frequently get emails advertising TAs for language courses, usually the speaking/conversational component of the course. Usually they want a native speaker.
  8. NSERC PGS/CGS - D Waitlist numbers

    CGS-M process is quite different from the PGS-D/CGS-D process. CGS-M is institution specific - they are the ones who will know how the waitlist is organized.
  9. NSERC CGS/PGS-D 2017-2018

    I sent my acceptance in the evening of the 23rd (Thursday) and they sent me a confirmation that they got it on the 29th. Apparently there were 96 applications sent to the Mathematical Sciences committee. I expected there to be more, based on the ~1500 application numbers in recent years. Perhaps some fields have far more applications? Also, I suppose these numbers do not include the applications that were not forwarded, and I don't know what proportion gets forwarded... I also think it is weird that they don't say at what ranking they stopped giving awards. Even if this could change with people declining, it would still be a useful number for people who will be applying again.
  10. I also wonder that, but to be fair, this is the first year that NSERC has emailed the PGS-D results.
  11. NSERC sent results by email.
  12. NSERC CGS/PGS-D 2017-2018

    They told me that the 'authorized institutional official' signature must come from somebody who can confirm you will be conducting your studies at that institution, e.g. dean, acting dean, or department head.
  13. NSERC CGS/PGS-D 2017-2018

    It is unclear to me if I have to submit such forms (meaning 1A and 1B). The email/letter just says to email them with proof of citizenship to accept. To actually begin payment, the award holder's guide says we must send in the form " Request for Instalment and Reinstatement of Award" form, found here: The bottom right corner is the bit I am asking about.
  14. NSERC CGS/PGS-D 2017-2018

    They told me I can accept my award in May. They didn't provide any explanation of what "coincides with your insititution's calendar" means, just said I could start in May. For direct applicants: do you know if the required signature of the 'authorized institutional official' on the installment request form is applicable to us, or just those at Canadian institutions?
  15. NSERC CGS/PGS-D 2017-2018

    In general, I agree completely. But I'm currently two thirds of the way through my second year and have no summer funding, so I'd like to start it ASAP. Also, my department does all funding on a quarter-by-quarter basis (we are all guaranteed a full time TAships if we want them, but I could choose to take one quarter at half time, for example, or your advisor can fund you for just one quarter) so the exact timing in the academic year is less important for me. I hope I can take it up in July, if not in May. I'll see what they say in response to my email!