Do I have a chance at a good MA program with my messy academic track record?

SpazzyAzi

Hello all, first time poster but long time lurker. :) Been reading all the advice here and it's helping me tremendously.

I have a question about my potential for a good art history MA program. I'm very interested in French art, something inside the 17th-19th century range, and my ultimate career goal is the museum field - hopefully curatorial.

However, I fear that my messy academic record may ruin chances for me. My GPA is embarrassingly low (2.7 cumulative), and I'm already 25 years old and only just finishing up my BA in history (Euro emphasis) ... at a state school (SJSU). My transcripts consist of four years at community college that make it very clear I had no idea what I was doing there, until I finally managed to transfer to SJSU, where I was very average for the first year (Cs, Bs, only a couple As). Only now have my grades picked up, but certainly not in time to save my GPA. My major classes do have mostly As and some Bs, though.

Anyway, that's the huge scar on my record. I fear it makes me appear unmotivated (which I certainly was). I do have some relevant strengths, but I don't know if they'll outweigh my transcripts:

-I have a double minor in art history and French. (I actually entered as a French major but switched it to a minor). I wouldn't say I'm fluent in French, but I'm getting there, and my reading knowledge and writing is very strong so I have no worries about the language exam.

-I have reading knowledge of Latin too!

-I'm good at writing; it's the first thing that gets my professors to notice me. Everything from critiques, to analyses, to research papers, etc. I have a solid portfolio of good writing samples.

-On the same thread, I have strong relationships with my history and art history professors, all of whom are ready to write me letters of rec when the time comes.

-I've been working at the Beethoven Center here at SJSU; it's the seat of the American Beethoven Society and houses the largest collection of Beethoven ephemera here in the states! (end plug). I work directly for the curator to help maintain the collections, as well as occasionally assisting in setting up rotating exhibitions. By the time I graduate I'll have worked there for two years.

-I'm talking with the curatorial department at the Rosicrucian museum here in San Jose for a summer internship, so hopefully that will be squared away soon!

Basically the tl;dr is that I've only discovered my passion for the museum/art history career path in the past few years, and my record shows it. I fear it's too late for me to redeem myself, but I also hope that, GPA/transcripts aside, I might present myself as a well-rounded individual otherwise. Has anyone experienced a similar situation to mine, or have any insight to offer on it?

Thanks a ton for your help guys. :)

Your "messy" academic record isn't a death knell... but it *is* something that has to be overcome by demonstrating how serious and focused you are now. I'd say adopt the following attitude of sorts: "hey admissions committees, this was my journey to get where I am now... it was hard and long... but where I am now is pretty fantastic: I'm totally proficient in French (make sure you get there), I can read Latin, I'm a fantastic writer, and most importantly, I now know what I want to do, what I want to research, and I'm totally 100% focused on doing it..."

Which is to say, there's nothing you can do to change your academic record... and it could be a liability if you let it define your current seriousness... so make sure you emphasize how serious, focused, and smart you are now... and the rest is just your history/journey to get there.

Hey!

Firstly, I'll preface this by saying that I'm in an MA program and study French art from 17th-19th century. I don't at all want to discourage you, but your academic record will be an issue.  I agree with qwer7890; you need to play up your "journey" and kind of own the fact that you might not have started strong but will finish strong.  DEFINITELY emphasize your French skills.  Also, try to find out where your LOR writers have connections and apply there.  Having connections is very important and can be a make or break situation if you have someone that can vouch for you.  Good luck!

I'm not in Art History, but one thing to consider is that many universities have a minimum GPA for graduate admissions established by the Graduate School. For example, SF State, which is just up the street, states that a 3.0 GPA is minimum GPA for grad applicants. That being said, several people have found ways to buck the trend and end up in grad school with lower undergrad GPA's. A useful resource may be the long and thorough Sub 3.0 Acceptance thread:  It's for all disciplines, but it is full of success stories from people in similar situations as you. The thread offers both optimistic and strategies for navigating grad school apps with a lower uGPA! 

Your gpa certainly won't help you, but if you play up your hands-on experience, journey from confused to community college student to focused, serious minded art history practicioner, knock your SOP out of the park, and get really strong LORs, then you should be able to get past your gpa.  It would probably also help to make strong connections with potential MA advisors at the schools you want to apply to.  Having a POI in your corner to back you during adcom meetings will go a long way towards getting admitted.

• 2 months later...

If you don't meet stated GPA cutoffs, you could take some more AH courses at a community college (as long as you get As in them) to bring your GPA up slightly and prove your continued interest in the field. I also wouldn't apply right out of undergrad since your academics won't carry you -- find a museum, gallery, or art nonprofit job to show you are employable and motivated. Also, Art History programs will need longish (15-20 pages usually) writing samples, so see if there's an undergrad thesis option in your program or whether you can work on an independent research project with a member of AH faculty.