Berkeley admissions interview/written test

dptv

Has anyone gone through the interview and written portion for fall 2015? What can we expect? Its hard to know how to prepare for this. Thanks!

Edited by dptv

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, any information on what's asked during the test/interview would be greatly appreciated!

Also curious - I sent my application in by December 1, but have not yet been contacted for an interview and am slightly worried. Has anyone else been contacted yet? Or are these interviews staggered? 

Pertinent info, perhaps - I'm an international student from Singapore, and it might be difficult to find interviewees in my area? 

I'm not in this field, but just want to let people know about the "Results Search" part of this website! (Link at the top, or on the homepage) You can search for things like "Berkeley Journalism" and you will get the results from past applicants who reported their info. e.g. http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Berkeley+Journalism

It looks like for Fall 2014, 3 interviews happened this week in December 2013. For Fall 2013, 3 interviews happened between mid December 2012 and mid January 2013. So I would guess that interviews happen sometime in December and January? It's hard to tell with only 3 reports per year!

So, on that note, if you didn't already know about the Results database, please make sure to report your interview date to help others :)

I had my Berkeley Journalism interview yesterday, and it was no big deal. Spoke with the (very cool) interviewer for 40 minutes, then took the writing test- five questions, 30 mins timed. Questions along the lines of what reporting skills you want to learn, what ethical dilemmas you've faced. Very open ended. I spent the time writing very short but well written responses, but I don't know what they are looking for.

• 1 month later...

Hello, My name is Juan Antonio Martinez. I'm new to this. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am currently a second-year student at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism. I am also a GSR (Graduate Student Researcher) for the Dean of Admissions. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from all of you.